none
Windows 2003 - Computer Browser service won't start

Question

• On our Windows 2003 DC (PDC), the Computer Browser is not starting, and the event ID is 7023.

"The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: The specified service does not exist as an installed service. "

I've seen a suggestion indicating lack of resources.  Therefore, I'm increasing memory and page file partition accordingly. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply.

I suggest install all updates for your Symantec AV and then perform a full virus scan. If no virus is detected, I am afraid that this issue is not related to viruses.

For the Computer Browser service issue, please refer to below:

Cause: If security software or firewall blocks file and printer sharing and ports for file and printer sharing, you may not be able to start the Computer Browser service.

Resolutions:

1. Make sure the dependencies such as Server and Workstation services are running.

2. Make sure you enable File and Printer Sharing on the firewall.

3. Make sure no security software blocks these ports: TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137 and UDP 138.

4. This error is the result of setting MaintainServerList=No in the registry while still having the Computer Browser service active.

Meanwhile, I suggest trying System File Checker on your computer:

1. Insert the Windows Server 2003 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2.  Click Start, click Run, type cmd and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Can you start the Computer Browser service now?

Tim Quan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.   

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

Please start the Windows Firewall Service. And make sure its dependent services – Server and Workstation started.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Tim,

Based on your suggestion, I discovered that Windows Firewall is missing as a service.  Now, I'm researching on how to get it back.

Thanks

Ron

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Interesting, it should be called "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
    Sharing." For me, it does not show the "Computer Browser" service as
    being dependent on Windows Firewall, only the "Server" and "Workstation"
    services. Are these started?

-- Mike Burr
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Mike,

Yes.  Both "Server" and "Workstation" services are running, and you are correct on the naming of the service.

Any suggestions?  I saw one where it is suggested to export the "SharedAccess" key from a working server and then import the key and reboot.  I haven't seen anything else based on my queries.

Thanks

Ron

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:57 PM
  • In my investigation, I discovered that the "net.exe" file is missing from system32.  Symantec AV is installed, and it has not complained about anything. 

Virus?  Unpatched server exploited (a few updates missing)?  System crash?

At this point, is it best to move FSMO, DHCP, WINS, etc... to another DC?

Thanks

Ron

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply.

I suggest install all updates for your Symantec AV and then perform a full virus scan. If no virus is detected, I am afraid that this issue is not related to viruses.

For the Computer Browser service issue, please refer to below:

Cause: If security software or firewall blocks file and printer sharing and ports for file and printer sharing, you may not be able to start the Computer Browser service.

Resolutions:

1. Make sure the dependencies such as Server and Workstation services are running.

2. Make sure you enable File and Printer Sharing on the firewall.

3. Make sure no security software blocks these ports: TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137 and UDP 138.

4. This error is the result of setting MaintainServerList=No in the registry while still having the Computer Browser service active.

Meanwhile, I suggest trying System File Checker on your computer:

1. Insert the Windows Server 2003 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2.  Click Start, click Run, type cmd and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Can you start the Computer Browser service now?

Tim Quan

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:51 AM