none
Downgrade Server 2012 r2 Essential to Server 2012 r2 Foundation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can i do so by downgrade from Windows Server 2012 r2 Essential to Windows Server 2012 r2 Foundation?

As currently if my customer is using a Windows Server 2012 r2 Essential trial without key, and later purchased Windows Server 2012 r2 Foundation? Is it possible to downgrade without messing the data in the server? Or without reinstall the server?

Regards,

David Cheong

Friday, January 13, 2017 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It does not support “downgrade” from Essentials to Foundation. 

As far as I know, Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 Foundation is only available through original equipment manufacturers. You cannot obtain installation media for Windows Server 2012 Foundation at retail locations.

You may consider of migration if you want to keep the exiting configuration, the processes is similar as migrating Windows Server Essentials to Windows Server Standard. General steps as below(domain environment):
    1. Prepare Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials for migration - including backing up the server, evaluating the server system health, installing the most recent service packs and fixes, and verifying the network configuration.
    2. Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation – including joining to exiting domain, promoting it to be a Domain Controller and DNS Server. Making it as Global Catalog. Migrate the DHCP database if necessary. 
    3. Move settings and data from Essentials to Foundation.
    4. Demote and remove the Essentials Server.

Besides, you have mentioned that it is Windows Server Essentials trial version, I would assume that it is not a product environment, and not so much data. If possible, build a new clear Foundation environment, dis-join client from the Essentials and re-join to Foundation is also can be considered. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 8:12 AM