none
Fail to boot from main system mirror disk 0 and how to recover data from raid mirror disk 1? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a failed disk 0 that had windows server 2012 and other 4 as disk mirror, unfortunately disk 0 died, so I no longer have the operating system WS 2012 to run my server, yet the other 4 disks are still fine, does someone knows if I can install a new disk 0 with windows server 2012 and automatically recognize the last disk mirror I had? If so is there a guide, link or manual on how to do this?

Or what is the best way I can get back my data that is on the 4 disk as a mirror set up, if I no longer have an OS?

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:58 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you had a raid comprised of 5 disks? If so this would likely have been raid 5 not raid 1 (mirror) If you only lost a single disk from raid 5 then set should have still been operational so likely the second disk in set just failed. In which case you're out of luck.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:45 PM
  • Please post a image of your raid setup, if the disk 0 was alone, and the 4 other disk were in a 0+1 you should be ok to reinstall.

Else if like Dave posted, it was a RAID5, then it's another story.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:30 AM