none
Server 2008 safe mode

Question

• Server 2008 noted that updates were available this morning, so I installed them and restarted.  Upon displaying the "Configuring updates 3 of 3 it hangs at the 0%.  Since I had no choice, I powered off then back on to go into Safe Mode.  At this point, I can't login with any of my Administrator accounts - it says the user ID or password is invalid.  Now what?  Thank you for any assistance.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

if the server is a domain controller you have to use the "Active directory restore mode" password, which you set during the installation of Active directory, to logon under the Active directory restore mode list after choosing F8 during boot.

After logon follow this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us

Don't care about Vista, 2008 has the same code, just choose the correct architecture 32/64bit.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, September 11, 2009 2:26 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Do you mean you can't login with Administrator ID in safemode? Is this a domain controller? If so, your userID should be administrator and password should be the AD recovery password that you input during DC promo, in some cases this might be different from your actual admin password. 

Also, if safemode doesnot work, try starting in normal mode and see if your id gives you same error

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Hi Pro Action,

Can you check with Last known good configuration option ? which will load last worked registries

sainath !analyze
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Hello,

if the server is a domain controller you have to use the "Active directory restore mode" password, which you set during the installation of Active directory, to logon under the Active directory restore mode list after choosing F8 during boot.

After logon follow this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us

Don't care about Vista, 2008 has the same code, just choose the correct architecture 32/64bit.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, September 11, 2009 2:26 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:38 PM