none
Parameter 'ServerInstance' is null or empty in -ScriptBlock...

Question

• Hi all,

I have a script that remotely restores a database on a test server.  Here is where it is failing...

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $TestDbServer -ScriptBlock { Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance $TestDbServer -Database MyDatabase -BackupFile "C:\DbBackup\MyDatabase.bak" } -Credential $credentia

The error I'm getting is 

If I change the above script and hard code the actual Server Instance name, the restore succeeds...

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $TestDbServer -ScriptBlock { Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance TEST-MACHINE-1 -Database MyDatabase -BackupFile "C:\DbBackup\MyDatabase.bak" } -Credential $credential                                                                              

So, why is the variable passed in containing the server name seen as null in the script block?  Is that a no-no of some sort in PowerShell?  Do I need to escape it with some character(s)?

Any help Greatly Appreciated!

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:04 PM

Answers

• I also recommend that you use the following method for formatting code as it will help you understand how the code is intended to work.'

$sb = {
        param ($rsv)
        Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance $srv -Database MyDatabase -BackupFile C:\DbBackup\MyDatabase.bak
    }

Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock $sb -ArgumentList $TestDbServer -ComputerName $TestDbServer -Credential $credential   

It is now very easy to see that you misspelled the parameter name.  Fix that and you are good to go.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:03 PM

All replies

• Just curious try this 

"$TestDbServer"

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:11 PM
  • Think I tried "$TestDBServer" and '$TestDBServer' and I believe both failed, but will try again.

UPDATE:  Yep, that failed too.

• Edited by NitLions Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:13 PM More info
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:12 PM
  • You have to pass all external values as arguments.

Read all of the help for Invoke-Command carefully to learn how to pass arguments.

help invoke-command -ShowWindow

Quoting variables is seldom an issue and is a bad habit to get into.

See:

help about_quoting

When first learning PowerShell it critical that you first read the help for an issue before asking others.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:46 PM
  • OK, so I have to use ArgumentList to pass my server name into the script block and I've seen some examples of that, however the  example just had just the script block.

I converted my script block to this...

{ (param $srv) Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance $TestDbServer -Database MyDatabase -BackupFile "C:\DbBackup\MyDatabase.bak" }

How or where do I pass in -ArgumentList $TestDbServer?

I've tried after the script block, at the very end after the credential parameter, but nothing seems to work.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:41 PM
  • Go back and read the help.  The examples are explicit and better than I can do.

You are still not passing the argument.

help invoke-command -Parameter ArgumentList

Keep reading this until you understand what it is telling you. Don't just quickly skim it.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:46 PM
  • I'm just not getting it.  I think I know how to pass the param into the script block with -ArgumentList, but I don't know if that applies when the overall command contains more than just the block.

What I have now and moving ArgumentList around isn't working...

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $TestDbServer -ScriptBlock { param($srv) Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance $srv -Database MyDatabase -BackupFile ""C:\DbBackup\MyDatabase.bak"" } -ArgumentList $TestDbServer -Credential $credential     

Stumped!                                                                                        

Actually, the error now sees -backupfile as null.  And I see I had ""  "" around that from other stuff I was trying.

I'll try again.

• Edited by NitLions Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:05 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:56 PM
  • I also recommend that you use the following method for formatting code as it will help you understand how the code is intended to work.'

$sb = {
        param ($rsv)
        Restore-SqlDatabase -ServerInstance $srv -Database MyDatabase -BackupFile C:\DbBackup\MyDatabase.bak
    }

Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock $sb -ArgumentList $TestDbServer -ComputerName $TestDbServer -Credential $credential   

It is now very easy to see that you misspelled the parameter name.  Fix that and you are good to go.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:03 PM
  • I got it going and yes, I like your code layout better!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:16 PM
  • Great!

This can be helpful as you learn PowerShell:

1. PowerShell Style Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:17 PM