none
VSS Error (80070005 Access is denied) RRS feed

• Question

• I asked this in another forum but it was suggested that I try here instead.

I am getting a couple of errors on a Windows 2012 box now that I can't find a solution to.  I found something similar (it happened when someone installed DHCP on a server) but it isn't quite the same.  I get 3 events in rapid succession every 10 or so minutes: 1) Event ID 13/VSS (Error) 2) Event ID 12292/VSS (Error) and 3) Event ID 8224/VSS (Information - VSS service is shutting down).  There is a short 2 or 3 minute delay between event 2 and 3.

Both of the error events list and error of 80070005, Access is denied.  They both refer to the same COM CLSID.  Event 13 says that the COM server couldn't be started and 12292 says that there was an error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class.

The CLSID being referred to is the iSCSI Target VSS Hardware Provider.

Bert

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Bert,

"iSCSI Target VSS hardware provider" Issue - EventID's 13 and 12292 with an error message of 80070005. Its need credentials to be fixed.

Suggest you to have a look at the below link. That should help you fix the "Access is denied" issue on Server 2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/10/08/iscsi-target-storage-vds-vss-provider.aspx

Thanks

Preenesh !!

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please have a try with steps provided in this article (for Windows 2003 but still work):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941956/en-us

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Thanks  the suggestion, Shaon, but it didn't work.  I tried both enabling and disabling the feature (the article wasn't clear whether I was supposed to enable it or disable it), but the error messages continued unabated.

Bert

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hi Bert,

If it did not work, change it back to your original setting.

Please also check the permission of the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EventSystem\{26c409cc-ae86-11d1-b616-00805fc79216}\EventClasses

The default perssions are as under:

Administrators Full Control This key and subkeys
    Server Operators Read This key and subkeys
    Authenticated Users Read This key and subkeys
    CREATOR OWNER Full Control Subkeys only
    SYSTEM Full Control This key and subkeys

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Hi Bert,

"iSCSI Target VSS hardware provider" Issue - EventID's 13 and 12292 with an error message of 80070005. Its need credentials to be fixed.

Suggest you to have a look at the below link. That should help you fix the "Access is denied" issue on Server 2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/10/08/iscsi-target-storage-vds-vss-provider.aspx

Thanks

Preenesh !!

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Mine is not set up that way.  Administrators, System and CREATOR OWNER are set up correctly, but Server Operators and Authenticated Users are not in the ACL.  In addition, EventSystem and local Users are both there with Read on "This key and subkeys".

I will add the missing 2.

Bert

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:06 PM
  • It won't let me add Server Operators - when I enter the group name, it tells me that the object cannot be found.

Bert

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Thanks, Preenesh, I will check out the article and see if it helps.

Bert

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:14 PM