none
Essentials feature lost on Server Essentials 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server which used to have a Server Essentials feature installed.  After some corruption and a lengthy fix period with SFC and DISM, the Server Essentials feature is now listed as not installed.  The Essentials feature was used for multiple backups from workstations.  How can the Server Essentials feature be restored to its previous functional level?

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:42 PM

All replies

• hi,
    can you enter msinfo32 in command prompt and check your server os version is server essentials 2012 r2.(not server 2012standard or server 2012 datacenter)
    If it is window server essentials 2012 r2 ,in general ,once you clean install server essentials 2012 r2, the windows server essentials role has been installed on your wse 2012r2.
    It's not a simple fix by adding windows server essentials role again,so do you have recently os backup for server essentials 2012r2, if you have ,you can do bare metal recovery for server essentials by server essentials 2012 r2 install medial.
    When you boot system by server essentials 2012 r2 DVD, choose "Repair Your Computer", "Troubleshoot "and finally "System Image Recovery".
    Note:If it is necessary ,you need to backup critical data in system partition to other partition .

Restore or repair your server using installation media
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/restore-or-repair-your-server-running-windows-server-essentials#BKMK_Restore_1

BEST REGARDS
    Andy YOU

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thank you.  The MSInfo32 confirms "Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials" and Version "6.3.9600 Build 9600".

The backups are done with Backup Assist - could you confirm what format / backup image type that the restore option you refer to requires?

The backups available are all after the original problem, so there's no valid backup which contains a functioning Essentials configuration.  Does this matter?

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 12:03 PM
  • The backups are done with Backup Assist - could you confirm what format / backup image type that the restore option you refer to requires?
    Windows Server stores image backups in VHDX files.

The backups available are all after the original problem, so there's no valid backup which contains a functioning Essentials configuration.  Does this matter?
    we can remember what time the issue first happened and select the restore checkpoint before it to recovery system.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:59 AM
  • The backups are done with Backup Assist - could you confirm what format / backup image type that the restore option you refer to requires?
    Windows Server stores image backups in VHDX files.

we can remember what time the issue first happened and select the restore checkpoint before it to recovery system.

Hi,

There are no VHDX files created by Backup Assist.  A such, there are no VHDX restore checkpoints to choose from.

You say "Windows Server stores image backups in VHDX files." 
    - Which software creates the VHDX files?

Friday, November 16, 2018 2:17 PM
  • If backups are done with a 3rd party solution I would ask them to help you. Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 includes a Server Backup solution that makes it possible to restore to any point of time if needed but apparently you used something else.

Server Backup can be configured from the Essentials Dashboard. See

There is no reason to use a 3rd party solution for this.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Hi Mariëtte,

Thank you for your reply, so it is done using the built-in backup software (Windows Server Backup in any other edition).

As yet I have not seen anyone actually describe how to put the Essentials back into Server Essentials.  I could make the backups using this software available but the articles you link to do not provide information on getting the Essentials back into Server Essentials only to recover from a backup (which would not have Essentials because it is not there any more).  I seem to be going around in a circle....

Monday, November 19, 2018 3:54 PM
  • Because the Essentials Experience role is missing I suggest you install those by going to Server Management and choose add Roles and Features. That will install the Essentials Experience role but it does not solve the problems with your client backups because installing the Essentials Experience probably invalidates all your Client backups.

As I said, if you used a 3rd party backup program you need to ask them how to do a full restore of your server to the point it was working.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 19, 2018 4:01 PM
  • Because the Essentials Experience role is missing I suggest you install those by going to Server Management and choose add Roles and Features. That will install the Essentials Experience role but it does not solve the problems with your client backups because installing the Essentials Experience probably invalidates all your Client backups.

As I said, if you used a 3rd party backup program you need to ask them how to do a full restore of your server to the point it was working.

Mariëtte Knap

Hi Mariëtte,

Just to cover something which I presented early in the thread: the recovery of the server has been a lengthy one to fix involving SFC and DISM.  In discussion with Andy earlier in the thread I also identified no backup exists which is old enough that the Essentials portion was still installed.

I took a look at Backup Assist more and it turns out that Backup Assist uses the Windows Server Backup.  So we have the "correct software" backups but no VHDX files?!

I understand you mention that a new install of the Windows Server Essentials Experience will invalidate the previous Essentials backups.  If we can progress to working functionality, we can make new backups.  New working backups is better than the current situation.

Based on your response quoted here, I tried adding the Windows Server Essentials Experience again.  The wizard results in the message:

"The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.  Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.  The remote procedure call failed.  Error: 0x800706be"

DISM reports the system is healthy.  SFC verifies the system is healthy.

Monday, November 19, 2018 4:36 PM
  • Maybe this helps You are unable to view Roles and Features and receive error code 0x800706BE in Server Manager. I had this once and that KB article fixed it for me.

Mariëtte Knap

Hi Mariëtte,

Thank you.  Note that this article references only DISM, SFC and Windows Updates for Windows 2012 servers.  The final line of my prior comment was based on the check I did there & then:

DISM reports the system is healthy.  SFC verifies the system is healthy.

I have run the Check for Updates and this month's 6 updates are currently being installed.  This will obviously require a reboot.  I will arrange the reboot and then try to install the Essentials Experience once more.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Hi,

Yes and no.  Been a little busy the past couple of days.  However, the Windows Updates were applied successfully on Tuesday and the server rebooted overnight.  The patches included the latest MSRT and rollups for .NET and Windows Server.  On the Wednesday, the SFC and DISM still report as valid/healthy.  Trying to add the Essentials Experience still reports:

"The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.  Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.  The remote procedure call failed.  Error: 0x800706be"

Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:55 AM
  • No more responses? :(
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:52 PM
  • 1How many roles are installed on WSE 2012 R2? 
    2how many computers connect to WSE2012 R2?
    3 Do you have other physical server for migration ?

Friday, November 30, 2018 2:58 PM
  • 1How many roles are installed on WSE 2012 R2? 
    2how many computers connect to WSE2012 R2?
    3 Do you have other physical server for migration ?

1) 10 currently: AD CS, AD DS, DNS, File & Storage, IIS, NAP, Printing, Remote Access, RDS, WDS.

2) 9 in all: 1 laptop, 8 desktops.

3) None.  None configured, none available but could borrow another machine if necessary temporarily.

Friday, November 30, 2018 3:40 PM