none
Can not rdp into Win10 pc with other Win10 pc RRS feed

• Question

• I can not get a remote desktop session open on my office pc (win10) with a laptop (win10) over a wan.

Error is "Your computer could not connect to another console session on the remote computer because you already have a console session in progress"

This is strange, because I can do the following:

• Rdp from a win7 laptop over the same lan to the win10 pc
    • Rdp from the win10 laptop to a win7 pc on the remote location.

So over the same vpn I can go:

• win7 to win10
    • win10 to win7
    • win7 to win7

But I can not go win10 to win10

James.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 11:30 AM

Answers

• OK, not firewall or services, but a curve ball from basic network topology. The machines on the local and remote subnet had happened to get the same private ip address. So the error message had come from the same machine that I was going out from.

James.

• Marked as answer by JamesCass Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:51 PM
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:51 PM

All replies

• Also try the ip address in case DNS is broken or try to;

telnet [address] 3389

a response other than "Could not open connection........." is generally success

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:03 PM
  • "Could not open connection to the host, on port 3389: connect failed"

is the port different for win10 to win10, compared to having win7 on one side or the other?

If I telnet to the win7 machine on the same subnet I get "press any key to continue"

Ping is ok. I am using the ip, but the dns is working ok as well

James.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Unless you changed it it should be 3389. I'd check the Remote Desktop Services (TermService) is running and that tcp 3389 inbound is allowed on firewall.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for you help, Dave.

I can rdp in with my other laptop, Win7, using same vpn login. Both are domain machines, and from the win10 machine I can get into a win7 machine. So I have 4 computers, two inside and two outside, win10 and win7 on each. I can go every direction except win10 to win10.

From this I can not see how it is a firewall problem if both win7 and win 10 use the same port. I have not changed from the default.

James.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:32 PM
  • Yes, it can be. On the problem target machine I'd check the Remote Desktop Services (TermService) is running and that tcp 3389 inbound is allowed on firewall.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:34 PM
  • OK, not firewall or services, but a curve ball from basic network topology. The machines on the local and remote subnet had happened to get the same private ip address. So the error message had come from the same machine that I was going out from.

James.

• Marked as answer by JamesCass Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:51 PM
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:51 PM