Cluster Shared Volumes RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to add an extra disk as a CSV to an existing 4 node cluster (Windows Server 2008 R2). The existing CSVs are mounted on a folder named C:\Cluster Storage. However, though my ID has adequate permissions on this folder (permission to create folder/append data), I am unable to create a new folder within this location to mount the new disk. The error message is "Access is denied".

The Cluster Storage folder in C:\ has a padlock symbol next to it and has a read-only attribute (which I am unable to change). How can I change the lock on the folder to be able to create a new folder for mounting the disk? Do I need to stop cluster services on one node, to release any lock that the process may have on that folder? Please help.

Thanks.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

After you enabled Cluster Shared Volumes(CSV), the system will create a common namespace under %SystemDrive%\ClusterStorage, then you can add disks to CSV, the first disk you added will be named as Volume1, the second one will be named as Volume 2, however, you can change the name as needed.

For more information, you can refer to:

Deploying Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) in Windows Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2009/02/19/9433146.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, February 14, 2011 2:04 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After you enabled Cluster Shared Volumes(CSV), the system will create a common namespace under %SystemDrive%\ClusterStorage, then you can add disks to CSV, the first disk you added will be named as Volume1, the second one will be named as Volume 2, however, you can change the name as needed.

For more information, you can refer to:

Deploying Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) in Windows Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2009/02/19/9433146.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, February 14, 2011 2:04 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Vincent. works now.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Glad it works for you now.

Here`s some additional information about the CSV feature, that I answered in a thread earlier:

R2 introduced a significant change in the way storage volumes can be accessed for VMs, and this feature (CSV) is available only for Hyper-V 2008 R2 VMs. CSV functions as a distributed-access file system for access to VHDs. Other cluster technologies from other vendors have accomplished a similar function by creating proprietary cluster file systems. These cluster file systems provide a locking mechanism shared among all the hosts in the cluster that limits access to the disk to a single node at a time, but all nodes have read/writes access. CSV does not use any proprietary volume format, it uses the standard NTFS that Windows has used for years :-). Also: CSV enables all Hyper-V hosts to have full read/write access to the VHDs of the VMs they are hosting. 
    CSV is a option that you could turn on in a Failover Cluster that is built with Hyper-V R2 hosts. 
    It`s implemented by creating a directory on the C: volume of each node in the cluster.
    Example:
    C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1
    C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2
    In this case, two shared disks in the cluster are assigned to CSV. The first volume has 4 VMs stored on it, and the second volume has 5 VMs stored on it. Only one node of the cluster will own the physical LUN of the shared volume, but each volume can be owned by different nodes of the cluster. CSV provides the ability for each node to have full read/write access to the individual VHDs that are used by different VMs.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:39 AM