Disable Remote Desktop Services before my 120 day trial expires RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I previously enabled this to test multiple simultaneous login to my server. I don't use it now so I never purchased the required license. I want to disable the feature and return to the regular 2 session login on my server.

1.) Can you please verify that the following steps will disable this feature:

Open gpedit.msc

navigate to : Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers     Disables

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode     Disabled

2.) Will this now revert to the original setup where only 2 sessions are allowed?

Thank you in advance.

Friday, July 3, 2020 9:59 AM

All replies

• following up on this post.
    Monday, July 6, 2020 1:48 AM
  • You'll just need to remove the RDS roles.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 6, 2020 1:52 AM
  • Hello,

You can uninstall it by removing the server role in server manager.

• Open Server Manager. To open Server Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.

• In the left pane, expand Roles.

• Right-click Remote Desktop Services, and then click Remove Role Services.

• On the Select Role Services page, clear the Remote Desktop Licensing check box, and then click Next.

• On the Confirm Removal Selections page, click Remove.

• On the Removal Progress page, removal progress is noted.

• On the Removal Results page, you are prompted to restart the server to finish the removal process. Click Close, and then click Yes to restart the server.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Monday, July 6, 2020 1:54 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

If we would like to enable more than 2 simultaneously rdp sessions, we are suggested to install RDS roles and install RDS CALs if needed.

So if you would like to revert back, you shall remove the RDS roles you've installed from server manager in connection broker (common deployment).

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 6, 2020 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Have you got a chance to verify above suggestions?

Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:52 AM
  • Hello,

Hope you all well. I am checking to see how things are going there on this post.

You can click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

This "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Thanks,

Jenny

Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

Since the Technet Forum will be read-only after 8/10, we've helped you post a new thread on the Q&A platform. If you need follow-up or have any concerns about this issue, please come to the Q&A platform to discuss.

Link:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/61438/disable-remote-desktop-services-before-my-120-day.html

Thanks,
    Jenny

Friday, August 7, 2020 6:28 AM