none
How to show computer on desktop?

Question

• Hello,

I really like adding the network icon and the computer on the desktop.  I can still easily add the shortcut to the network properties but I haven't figured out how to show computer on desktop.   I use it both as an option for explorer but a quick right click shortcut to get to computer properties, device mgr etc.   I realize there are other ways of getting to those things but can someone please let me know how to show the computer on desktop?

I can create a shortcut but like an IE shortcut it doesn't give you access when you right click to get to settings of IE (just settings of the shortcut)

Thanks

Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please perform the following steps to show computer on your desktop.

1. Click on the Desktop in Metro UI (as shown below). This will bring the normal old desktop.
    2. Right Click on the blank space in desktop, select Personalize.
    3. In next screen Click on ‘Change desktop icons’.  Here you can select the icons wanted to display in Windows 8 desktop. Select the tick box for ‘Computer’. Control Panel and Network icons also can be displayed on Windows 8 desktop by this method.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:32 PM
  • I figured it out.  If you add the Desktop experience feature then you can control your desktop just as you do in Win7.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Click on the Desktop in Metro UI (as shown below). This will bring the normal old desktop.
    3. In next screen Click on ‘Change desktop icons’.  Here you can select the icons wanted to display in Windows 8 desktop. Select the tick box for ‘Computer’. Control Panel and Network icons also can be displayed on Windows 8 desktop by this method.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Arthur Li

Thanks - I appreciate the response.    Why is MS making it so hard to find things in Windows 8?
    • Proposed as answer by NCast Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:25 PM
  • This is the same behavior in Windows Server 8 as Windows Server 2008 R2.  By default, the only icon on the desktop of Windows Server 2008 R2 is the Recycle Bin.

The UI in Windows 8 Consumer Preview that is mentioned in Arthur's post is the same as the UI in Windows 7.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:51 PM
  • This is the same behavior in Windows Server 8 as Windows Server 2008 R2.  By default, the only icon on the desktop of Windows Server 2008 R2 is the Recycle Bin.

The UI in Windows 8 Consumer Preview that is mentioned in Arthur's post is the same as the UI in Windows 7.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Actually no, the same behavior would be

1. Click on start

2 right click on computer, show on desktop.

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Your response may work in Win8 consumer preview but it doesn't apply to the Server 8 enviroment.  Since this is a Server 8 forum I would expect a response related to WS8.   I'd like to know how to add the Computer and Network icons to the WS8 desktop.
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:59 PM
  • I figured it out.  If you add the Desktop experience feature then you can control your desktop just as you do in Win7.
    Monday, March 26, 2012 1:47 AM
  • The following command will launch "Show or hide common icons on the desktop" applet without requiring the installation of Desktop Experience. Works for Server 2008R2 and Server 2012

"%Systemroot%\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,0

- GC-Tech -

• Proposed as answer by GC-Tech Friday, March 8, 2013 8:39 PM
    • Edited by GC-Tech Friday, March 8, 2013 8:42 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Yes that would be the correct behaviour

However for some reason the good people at Microsoft thinks we should have to click more and search more to do anything

remember when you could click and icon to copy and paste, now you have to use a menu which takes forever to load when you are going across a network

Nothing like adding 5 minutes to copy and paste one file

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:01 PM
  • thx this is what I needed

Now if I can just find the run shortcut

Wow this version is terrible

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:02 PM
  • AGREED!

Why make a server product interface as inefficient as a cell phone interface?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:54 PM
  •   Actually I would call running a server from the desktop inefficient, and running desktop experience on a server very inefficient. Microsoft recommends that you run the Server OS without a GUI. That is now the default install option.

Bill

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:48 PM
  •   Actually I would call running a server from the desktop inefficient, and running desktop experience on a server very inefficient. Microsoft recommends that you run the Server OS without a GUI. That is now the default install option.

Bill

Why on Earth would they recommend that? Does the GUI impact performance all that much (I'm talking about when the server is locked, or no account is logged in - the normal state for my servers)? I can't imagine it would make much of a difference..

And if you want to talk about inefficent, having to install a whole new feature (Desktop Experience) in order to simply add a shortcut to the desktop is one of the most inefficient processes I've seen in a while.. Thankfully, GC-Tech posted a command that enables a workaround, but I doubt I'd ever be able to figure that one out on my own. So much for an intuitive experience.

The Metro UI is only adding more clicks and annoyances to the process. Why couldn't they just leave the UI alone and focus on improving the core of the OS? This UI overhaul seems to be unwanted from the majority of people I've spoken to. Change isn't always good..

• Edited by brianp89 Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:22 PM
  • yes the gui impacts the performance considerably

that is why NOVELL always was faster, but they had poor marketing and they are now defunct

Friday, January 31, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Excellent!

Great help  GC-Tech!!!

Thanks a bunch : - )

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:54 PM
  • That's a load of crap. NOVELL was faster for a variety of reasons, but that's technology that has been dead for fifteen years.

MS may recommend you run server without a GUI, but that only works when you're only using the latest MS software, and even at that, it's not easy or efficient to administer. As soon as you add ANY other product that doesn't include a CLI the argument is null and void.

Of course a CLI environment is marginally less hardware-intensive than a GUI. It makes sense to recommend that, but MS spent decades pushing the GUI environment on servers. For customers who MUST use a GUI, being forced into the Metro environment is infuriating. It's among the top 5 most boneheaded decisions MS has ever made.

Friday, April 11, 2014 4:21 PM