none
OEM Microsoft Windows Server Standard 2008 R2 (Product Key + Virtual Key)

Question

• I have bought for a customer a brand new OEM Microsoft Windows Server Standard 2008 R2.

Now I have seen that I have a physical key and a virtual key.

On the physical server I have installed only the Hyper-V role and on it is a backup client from Symantec.

Now is the question. I am allowed to run a DomainController as a Hyper-V server with the virutal key from the same Licence?

That would be great if i don't have to buy a second physical licence.

Thanks for your reply.

Alain

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:49 AM

Answers

•   With Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Ed. you get thr right to install the server OS in one vm as well as the host (as long as the host runs only the Hyper-V role). If you want to install the Server OS in an additional vm you will need to purchase an additional licence.

Other versions of the OS allow additional licences, but for standard you only get one activation for the virtual key.

Bill
    • Proposed as answer by Scorprio_MiloMVP Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by spectroFOX Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by spectroFOX Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by spectroFOX Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:51 AM

All replies

• If you mean can your Virtual Machine use the Virtual Key and act as a Domain controller then I do not see why not.  You will still however need the required number of Windows Server 2008 User/Device CAL's. 

Also if you create any further Virtual Machines you will need a licence for the O/S version you load as you are only allowed to run one virtual machine using Windows Server 2008 STD as supplied. (4 with Enterprise and Unlimited with Datacentre).

Please note, I do not work for MS so the above is only my view of your issue. Maybe one of the moderators can confirm also.

Sean. 

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:43 PM
  •   With Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Ed. you get thr right to install the server OS in one vm as well as the host (as long as the host runs only the Hyper-V role). If you want to install the Server OS in an additional vm you will need to purchase an additional licence.

Other versions of the OS allow additional licences, but for standard you only get one activation for the virtual key.

Bill
    • Proposed as answer by Scorprio_MiloMVP Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by spectroFOX Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by spectroFOX Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by spectroFOX Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Hi Spectro,

not sure if answer of Bill simple to understand. The licence of Windows Server Std allow to use just 1 server. Not important if its in the parent partition or in a guest partition.

So if you want to use another role than the Hyper-V one in the parent partition you can't use the virtual key. your question is : can I use the VM key to install a DC ? the answer is : Yes, if you don't use the physical partition to do other thing than Hyper-V.

If you need to have 2 Servers : 1 for your customer and one for your DC, so you will need another licence. Perhaps an enterprise licence is the answer... (like Sean said : 4 VMs Licences supplied)

in one word: you can use the physical key OR the virtual key.

• Proposed as answer by BenKenobi Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:58 AM
  • I know that it is allowed to use both licence on the same system as long that the physical server have only installed the hyper-v role. But the important question is, I am allowed to use backup software etc on the physical server installation. Shouldn't be the problem, als long that I only install the hyper-v role.

Alain

Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:38 AM
  • I know that it is allowed to use both licence on the same system as long that the physical server have only installed the hyper-v role. But the important question is, I am allowed to use backup software etc on the physical server installation. Shouldn't be the problem, als long that I only install the hyper-v role.

Alain

Spectro,

I have just done a search and came up with the following on an MS page:

Q.  If I have one license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and want to run it in a virtual operating system environment, can I continue running it in the physical operating system environment?

A.  

Yes, with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, you may run one instance in the physical operating system environment and one instance in the virtual operating system environment; however, the instance running in the physical operating system environment may be used only to run hardware virtualization software, provide hardware virtualization services, or to run software to manage and service operating system environments on the licensed server.

Page Here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

If im reading the section I have highlighted in bold correctly then that should mean that you are ok to run backup software as this would surely be classed as Software that manages / services your operating system environment.

Hope this helps

Sean.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:30 PM
  • Sean,

Thanks this dialog is helpful. I have a situation where I have 2008 R2 Std. I am running the VM on the base OS install, only other role would include the backup service. No other roles. Within the HyperV I have a single 2008 R2 Std domain controller instance.

I am reading about the Hyper V key vs the product key. I was/am unaware of the difference. Thus this might be related to my problem. The Hyper V instance is rejecting my product key. I have used it to register the base OS.

Any insight/light on the subject would be helpful

Regards

D-B-S
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:42 PM