none
RDP not connecting to any PC RRS feed

• Question

• I got a weird problem once or twice a week RDP stops to connect to any PC in network and stucks at "initiating remote connection" asks a correct login/password though

You still can connect to PC that have this issue via rdp, but not to any other PC from them

I've encountered this problem on 2 systems win server 2008 r2 and on win server 2016

Also when this happens ICQ stops working too (and yeah i know its 2019)

Issue resolve itself after a reboot but thats a not ideal solution

Any ideas what it could be?
    Monday, July 1, 2019 6:46 AM

All replies

• hi,
    1  what's ICQ meaning ?
    2  what's time did the problem happen on w2008r2 and on w2016 ?
      2.1 did the problem occurred at the peak of the network?
      2.2 when the problem happen ,can you turn off firewall on both w2016 and the client computer temporarily , then enter below command in command prompt on problematical w2016 ,Is there any delay in the network or packet loss ?
    ping 192.168.1.2 -t
    the 192.168.1.2 is the ip address of client computer.
    3 "You still can connect to PC that have this issue via rdp, but not to any other PC from them"
    do you mean any pc can remote access problematical w2016 ,but problematical w2016 can not remote access any other pc?

4 what's problematical w2016 and w2008r2 function ? Are they DNS server or application server or web server ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:09 AM
  • 1 ICQ is a old messenger app that almost noone uses anymore
    2 usually it's w2008r2 that have this problem on w2016 it happened only once but that\s a new server  we had it for ~6 months
    2.1 problem occur usually at morning
    like today i connected at 7:10 to check if everything was ok
    and at 8:56 i got SMS that ICQ doesnt work wich also mean RDP wont connect to other PC so in this short gap of time something went wrong

i'll try to check the ICQ logs maybe it will give me a hint at what exact time problem qccurred and to check what happened in event log or some of users did something

2.2 there is no delay or packet loss 

3 yes you understand correctly 

4 both are terminal servers

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:42 AM
  • hi,
    5 I am not how problematical w2016 remote access client when using ICQ automatically?
       did admin use mstsc remote access client computer on w2016 manually?

6 "i'll try to check the ICQ logs maybe it will give me a hint at what exact time problem qccurred and to check what happened in event log or some of users did something"
    yes ,you are right .check if there is related event log about your issue 
    on RDS server
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    security
    system
    on other RDS related server
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – TerminalServices-****
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows –remote desktop management service
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – RemoteDesktopServices-****
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connections
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connection management
    on client computer
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    security
    system
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-SessionServices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteApp and Desktop Connections_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -RemoteApp and Desktop Connections_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-PnPDevices_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-PnPDevices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Printers_Admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Printers_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connection management

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 8, 2019 7:17 AM
  • hi
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:37 AM
  • nope didnt find anything useful in event viewer
    at this moment i suspect it can be certain user who logs in at the morning but it's just a guess
    Friday, July 12, 2019 12:08 PM
  • hi,
    Since it is a random event, we need to go on monitoring the event log.
    i am not sure if you have network monitor tool to monitor this random event so that we can find some thread.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:07 AM