none
Server 2012 - Stuck on checking for Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2012 server that is stuck on "checking for updates". 
    I have deleted the catroot2 and software distribution folders, I have done dism cleanup-image.  It still is stuck at this prompt.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:50 AM

All replies

• I'd try downloading the latest rollup update. The latest is 3/14/2017.

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=kb4012217

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Certainly got an interesting result. When I try to install that KB4012217, the standalone installer hangs on searching for updates on this computer...
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Be patient..........

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Still going.... how much patience do I need?  ;)

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Hard to say. What patch level is it currently at? If first time patching it may take quite a while.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Was current as of a month and a half ago.
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:35 PM
  • I'd let it run its course through the night.

Might also try installing from a clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If no joy then I'd call it in to product support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?Audience=Commercial&SegNo=5&wa=wsignin1.0

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:41 PM
  • I'm facing the exact same problem. I tried all the tutorials related to restoring Windows Update back and forth to no avail. Even restored a backup from when I know that Windows Update was still working -> No joy either.

Seems to me that something has changed on the other end.

I have manually installed the latest rollup update for now and set Windows update to never check for updates automatically. That way, atleast it doesn't hog the CPU. But this can only be a temporary solution...

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:33 PM
  • maybe a restart?
    Monday, March 20, 2017 3:54 PM
  • I put that server through several restarts this weekend.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 3:57 PM
  • I did the same Philipp, set Windows update to disabled because it was using quite a bit of CPU otherwise.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 3:58 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.  Try to install the latest rollup update with the same result:  searching for updates.  No solution yet.  I am with Server 2012 essentials.
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 4:32 PM
  • This is apparently a more universal problem with Server 2012. We have one Server 2012 domain controller with this issue. The problem we first noticed was that other processes like virus scanning weren't finishing in their normal timeframe because Windows Update is hogging 50% of the CPU.

We have tried all of the standard solutions for getting Windows Update unstuck. None of them work, so unless you have a lot of time to waste, I wouldn't bother going through all of them.

For now, we have also chosen to do the same as others in this thread. We've turned off Windows Update so that it doesn't hog the CPU. This will also allow you to manually install updates. If you don't turn off the automatic updates, the messed-up Windows Update will prevent the stand-alone installers from ever completing. We have manually applied all of the current patches, and will do that for any new patches that come out.

I hope this thread helps somebody so that they don't waste a bunch of time trying to get this to work, because they probably won't be successful. Hopefully Microsoft can get a fix reasonably soon. Too bad it costs $500 just to talk to them about a problem in their software. :-(

Steve

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Hello,

facing the same problem, and still without a solution. Too bad... 

Michele

Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Still without solution.  Anybody has found any solution?

Monday, April 17, 2017 11:20 PM
  • I had case opened with MS. With help from support I was able to fix the issue for 99% of the servers by removing 'Desktop Experience' feature. Give it a try. 
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:56 PM
  • I just had the same issue with Windows Storage Server 2012 running on a Seagate NAS.

Sometime around November of 2018 I decided to install the Desktop Experience feature on my lovely Seagate NAS unit which had been quietly doing it's job flawlessly for about 3 years. Some time around December 2018 I noticed that updates had mysteriously stopped. Everything from manually checking for updates to manual installs of downloads from the update catalog failed. Manual updates succeeded hit or miss but were always extremely slow to complete.

Removing the Desktop Experience feature completely cleared the update problems that plagued me for months.

Not only did the automatic update fail but manual downloads of updates also failed.

Symptoms were:

Check for updates: Windows Update "Checking for Updates" would hang & never complete showing the "Checking for Updates" popup.

Standalone installer: "Searching for updates on this computer" from the Windows Standalone Installer which would hang & never complete showing the "Searching for updates on this computer".

Monday, March 4, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Nicely done. Good find; seemed to work nearly right away. Go figure that such a trivial feature in the OS would affect such core functionality!

Doug Kinzinger, MCSE

Friday, April 19, 2019 3:30 PM