none
SysPrep, windows activiation and MSDN media RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I currently use MSDN versions of software in order to confirm our software will work on a number of different configurations.  We also implement automated testing on a number of scenarios, not to mention reviewing other software products, and so on.

I have setup a number of sysprep'd images so as to make our lives easier creating these 'one time use' environments, except it appears that sysprep on MSDN media does NOT reset the activation timer.  (currently talking windows 2003, no idea about 2008 yet).  [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457096.aspx]

This is quite a problem for us, as we don't wish to activate an environment that will be destroyed within a couple of days.  Especially as we create alot of them, and have the intention of automating the environment setup, threfore increasing the number created and torn down.

So my question is, can this be circumvented?  Does Windows Vista\2008\r2\7 have the same issue?  And if I can't do this, then what are the limits of product activation under MSDN (but I'm guessing that's a different forum).

Thanks in advance

Martin
    Friday, July 31, 2009 9:27 AM

Answers