Windows Server Backup failure: The specified backup disk cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have three Hyper-V VMs, two running Server 2016 and one running 2012 R2. The two 2016 VMs were created from the same original template.

All three have Windows Server Backup configured to run a full backup to a Drobo NAS device. The backups complete successfully on the 2012 R2 VM and one of the 2016 VMs but the other one fails with the following error:

"The specified backup disk cannot be found"

I have tried using both the hostname and IP address for the backup destination with the same result. The backup destination is accessible in Explorer.

The following event is logged every time the backup fails:

Source: Virtual Disk Service
    Event ID: 9
    Description: Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 80070037@02000014

If anyone is able to help with this it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For a test, please try to backup to the local drive on the host to do a check? And please also try to backup to another external drive to do a check.

Please run vssadmin list writers on the VM ? (please note: in VM not run commands on the host).

If it could work for local drive and vss related service fine, please also check SMB issue, since it is connected to NAS device.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f8e337be-c6a5-47fb-9819-f3fe6780d196/windows-server-backup-failing-in-windows-server-2016?forum=windowsbackup

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:55 AM
  • Please restart the Virtual disk service and check if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + R.

b: Now type services.msc in the run dialog box and hit enter.

c: Now look for a service called Virtual Disk.

d: Make sure it is started and set as Automatic.

• Proposed as answer by RWS_BCTI Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:52 PM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:20 AM
  • I am curious if you resolved this issue?  I am having a similar issue.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:06 PM
  • Hello. I did have similar issue and i followed your advise look at virtual disk, i restarted the service and change start to auto. i run my backup this time w/o issue (windows server2016). thanks
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:52 AM
  • This was the solution for me.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:52 PM