none
Missing DHCP Option 60 RRS feed

• Question

•  

New Server freshly installed VMware Server

DHCP and WDS installed on it.

According to instructions I have to set Option 60 to PXE Client -- however I don't see Option 60 in the list of DHCP options.

I've set Option 67  to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com  and  66 to the FQDN of the server.

Where is Option 60 and how can I get it back.

My option list jumps from 049 to 064

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:38 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The answer to your question depends on whether your DHCP server and WDS server are on the same physical machine or not.

If your DHCP server and WDS server are on the same physical machine, you need to check the “Do not listen on port 67” and “Configure DHCP option 60 to ‘PXEClient’” in WDS server properties. To do this, please open WDS Server console, right click the WDS server you have added and click Properties, navigate to DHCP tap and check the above two options.

After that, WDS Server will add DHCP option 60 to the packets sent to PXE client.

There is no need to configure DHCP option 60 on DHCP server.

If your DHCP server and WDS server are on different physical machine, there is no additional operations needed and WDS server will automatically add DHCP option 60 to PXE client.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Neo Zhu

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The answer to your question depends on whether your DHCP server and WDS server are on the same physical machine or not.

If your DHCP server and WDS server are on the same physical machine, you need to check the “Do not listen on port 67” and “Configure DHCP option 60 to ‘PXEClient’” in WDS server properties. To do this, please open WDS Server console, right click the WDS server you have added and click Properties, navigate to DHCP tap and check the above two options.

After that, WDS Server will add DHCP option 60 to the packets sent to PXE client.

There is no need to configure DHCP option 60 on DHCP server.

If your DHCP server and WDS server are on different physical machine, there is no additional operations needed and WDS server will automatically add DHCP option 60 to PXE client.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Neo Zhu

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:04 AM
  • What do you do if you have MORE than one MS DHCP server and WDS is on its own machine.  Do the other DHCP servers magically know what to do?  This is one part of the process I am having problems with - how do the DHCP servers actually know where to point the client to?
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I have configured the SCCM and DHCP server in single server machine when i tried to enable port 60 (PXE BOOT)i was not able found the same port number so please kindly provide the steps to enable the PXE boot in DHCP server option
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:43 AM