none
Drive mapping to RDS shares RRS feed

• Question

• I need to map a drive to various RDS clients' shares, and I don't know how/where to do it.  I'm using Server 2008 R2 Foundation, but not in a domain, so I have no Active Directory.  The server is in a workgroup.  Also, I do not have a public static IP from my ISP, I'm using a DDNS service for that, but I do have an internal static IP on the server.  I have a series of shares, one for each client, so that their client related data is private to each one -

i.e. U:\Shares\RmUser01

U:\Shares\RmUser02 etc.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to map a drive letter, so that when RmUser01 logs in, his "U" drive points to his personal share, and likewise for RmUwer01 etc.

I know how to just map drives via Windows Explorer, but that requires a unique drive letter for each share.  I'm new to server OSs so I don't know how or where to do this.

Please help me. 

Creacon
    Friday, May 20, 2011 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can the user map the share with net use? If so, a simple batch file logon script will work. For example:

net use X: \\ServerName\UserShare

Then you can put this script to each client PC users’ Startup. When the TS users logon, this script will work and mapping the drive.

Technology changes life……
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Then you can put this script to each client PC users’ Startup. When the TS users logon, this script will work and mapping the drive.

Thank you.  I understand doing the mapping with the "net use' command, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the above statement.  Exactl where do I put that script;  i.e. what do you mean by "user's startup"?  My users will all be RDS users 800 miles away.  The only way I know for a user to start an RDS session is to go to:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Remote Desktop Connection (or create a desktop shortcut to there).  I haven't found any place in that object to reference a script.

Creacon
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:29 PM