File Server - Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking to get a server that will do the following:

• Manage Users
    • Manage Files and access to those files
    • (Possibly) Run a SQL database
    • (Most likely) An e-Mail Server

My goal was to get it and have it installed and fully functional by January. Due to restrictions, I am going to have to wait for next year. Although I won't be doing it for some time, I still want to learn and get information about it. I can always come back and read replies.

When it comes to file management, is it possible to have the server automatically move folders and create new folders?

I would like to have two folder when you open the drive. "2017" or the current year, and "Archive" - I would like it to automatically move "2017" to "Archive" and recreate a new folder "2018" at the start of the new year. Within 2018, more folders would need to be created.

I know a lot can be done with Windows Server 2016, but I am not sure about this.

Also, for those needs, what type of hardware would you recommend. The server will be accessed locally, and if the business expands, remotely.

Thank you.

• Edited by Abraham J Monday, November 27, 2017 9:00 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 8:54 PM

Answers

• As to the four roles active directory domain services, file/print, SQL server, email (exchange) I'd suggest installing the hyper-v role on host then stand up four guests for the mentioned roles. As to the automatic folder renaming / archiving you may need to do some scripting to accomplish. Many can be found here that you could modify to suit your needs.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/

Almost all of the major server manufacturer's have trained personnel to help you with the sizing questions.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Monday, November 27, 2017 9:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Abraham J Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:53 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 9:04 PM

All replies