none
Remote desktop host freezes up XP Pro

Question

• Using remote desktop, when a remote user tries to login, the host computer (running XP Pro) locks up and needs to be re-booted to return to operational.  I have been using remote desktop on this machine for several months with no problem.  It does not matter if I try to connect from the internet or from my local network.  I had to modify the RDC listening port and configure my router initially so that I could connect to several different computers as needed.  Other connections are still working fine. 

I am not aware of any hardware changes or software installed (of course, there could be a virus). 
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:35 PM

Answers

• Hello Bill,

Thanks for your post.

As for this high system freezing or hang issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Before contacting CSS, you could try the following steps to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.     Check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) to see what errors are logged during the freezing issue happens. Those are important clues to find the root cause that leads to this issue.

2.     Perform a full scan to check the possible impacts from the virus or malware.

3.     Perform a clean boot to the problematic host machine to exclude the 3<sup>rd</sup> party services or applications’ possibilities. If the issue doesn’t appear after clean boot, disable fewer 3<sup>rd</sup> party services until find the root cause:

(KB310353) How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

I hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:53 AM