none
What Print drivers are required on Windows Server 2003 32-bit for Print Redirection to 64-bit Windows 7

Question

• I am trying to add print driver(s) to Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit) to enable a 64-bit Windows 7 client running a Remote Desktop session on the Terminal Server to print to a printer that is local, i.e. attached to the Windows 7 client. On the Windows Server 2003 I go into Printers and Faxes, File | Server Properties, click on the Drivers tab and in the Add Printer Driver Wizard I am presented with 5 options, of which I think two might be relevant:

x64 Windows XP, Windows Server 2003

x86 Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

Should I be ticking the first box (on the grounds that I want to print via a 64-bit machine) or the second box (on the grounds that I am installing on a 32-bit machine) or both?

If someone could answer this, I may have a better idea why Printer Redirection is not working in this case (though it is working for printers attached to 32-bit XP clients). What I've actually done so far is to install a DELL AIO 810 Printer Driver for the the second option (x86). This printer now shows up in the Remote users list of Printers (DELL AIO 810 Printer on Session xx) when she prints from a Remote session. But when she selects this a clicks Print, nothing is printed. However a window pops up on the Windows Server 2003 monitor saying that it can't connect to the DELL AIO 810 Printer and suggesting I connect the Terminal Server directly to the (remote) Printer, so clearly the setup is wrong in some way. I tried to install in addition a Windows 7 driver but the installation failed because the driver files I pointed to were missing some 64-bit Operating System dlls.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

•  I believe you'll need to make both 32bit and 64bit drivers available by installing both drivers.

Assuming you don't have any 64 bit clients, and no Server OSes that would be connecting via RD, you should only need to select the 'x86 Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003' option.  If you have 64 bit clients connecting then select both options.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

The correct driver to install is the 32-bit one, since your server is running 32-bit windows.  Based on what you have written it is clear that the driver is not compatible with terminal services.  Sending a popup window to the system console is a sign of a driver not written for TS.

If you cannot find a compatible driver then you will not be able to use this printer under 2003 TS unless you purchase a third-party TS Universal Printer Driver solution.  I would not by a TS UPD just for one printer though since they not cheap.

When purchasing a printer look for one that natively understands PCL/PS and has a small, no-frills WHQL-certified driver for the server's OS in addition to one for the client's OS.

-TP

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:50 AM

All replies

•  I believe you'll need to make both 32bit and 64bit drivers available by installing both drivers.

Assuming you don't have any 64 bit clients, and no Server OSes that would be connecting via RD, you should only need to select the 'x86 Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003' option.  If you have 64 bit clients connecting then select both options.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

The correct driver to install is the 32-bit one, since your server is running 32-bit windows.  Based on what you have written it is clear that the driver is not compatible with terminal services.  Sending a popup window to the system console is a sign of a driver not written for TS.

If you cannot find a compatible driver then you will not be able to use this printer under 2003 TS unless you purchase a third-party TS Universal Printer Driver solution.  I would not by a TS UPD just for one printer though since they not cheap.

When purchasing a printer look for one that natively understands PCL/PS and has a small, no-frills WHQL-certified driver for the server's OS in addition to one for the client's OS.

-TP

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Pretty frustrating to read this, and I'm sure for Ben as well, since he clearly states in his post that he wants to be able to print to a printer connected to a 64-bit Windows 7 client on a 2003 TS.  I'm looking for an answer to the same issue for a different printer.  In the past I have made this work by first installing the proper drivers to a Win 7-64 machine, as if it were a local install.  Then, when you attempt to connect to the network printer of the same model, Win 7 will go through a process of trying to find drivers.  It will find the ones you have installed and push them up to the server.  From then on, any Win 7-64 clients that connect will find that driver and should be able to work.  The terminal server throws and extra wrinkle into it, but I'm trying this method now and if I find a way through it I'll let you know.  I'm trying to install the driver to my Win 7-64 machine even though I don't have the printer itself here.  We'll see.
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 4:51 PM