SSMS Crashing on opening new query window in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

My SSMS 2016 start to crash after the windows update and I try to install the 2012 SSMS and 2017 SSMS and also try to reinstall the 2016 SSMS but none of this worked for me. When I try to connect a remote sql server it connects without any issue but after that if I open a new query editor window it shows the not responding message and after few sec it crashes and restart the SSMS. is there any solution for this issue? Please help.

Thanks,

Joby

Monday, July 6, 2020 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

Thank you for your support on this issue. I have resolved the issue by uninstalling all the windows update installed after Jun 26. Currently I can use the SSMS version 14 in my windows 10 machine without any issue. The update was causing some issue in my visual studio 2015 professional as well in the search option. which is also get rectified by this uninstall of the update. 

Hi Microsoft Team,

You are automatically installing the windows update in windows 10 OS and I think it erases the older restoring points so there is no option left for the user to rollback the update in cause of any issue due to update. Please do the necessary checking to avoid any issue and it will be better to have a provision to rollback the changes other than removing this updates one by one. This issue spoiled my one week.

Thank you.

Joby George

• Marked as answer by joby003 Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:41 AM
    • Edited by joby003 Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:43 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:41 AM

All replies

• Please download the current version of SSMS and if you are still having problem, post your question in the "SQL Server Tools" forum for SSMS support.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-ver15

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Monday, July 6, 2020 4:54 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 4:51 PM
  • Hi Joby,

As Tom mentioned, please try to use the latest version SSMS 18.5.1 and run it as administrator. If it is not work, Please check your windows application and system event log to find some useful information about this issue.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:27 AM
  • Hi Team,

I am not able to install the SSMS version SSMS 18.5.1. It show the below screen and after that it exit the application. All this happened after the windows update last week in windows 10.

• Edited by joby003 Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:50 AM

• Hi Joby,

1. Make sure you don’t have any previous version (RC, Preview) of SSMS 18.0 installed (check Add/Remove programs; if you do, uninstall it). 
    2. Make sure “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18” does not exist (if it does, the delete it). 
    3. Delete the registry key by running from an elevated cmd prompt:
       reg DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32 
    4. Restart the computer 
    5. Install  SSMS 18.5 again. Run the SSMS 18.5 setup as administrator

Best regards,
    Cathy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:15 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

I have done the above steps and still the issue persists. Is there any way I can restore to a point before the windows update?

Thanks,

Joby

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 4:27 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for your support on this issue. I have resolved the issue by uninstalling all the windows update installed after Jun 26. Currently I can use the SSMS version 14 in my windows 10 machine without any issue. The update was causing some issue in my visual studio 2015 professional as well in the search option. which is also get rectified by this uninstall of the update. 

Hi Microsoft Team,

You are automatically installing the windows update in windows 10 OS and I think it erases the older restoring points so there is no option left for the user to rollback the update in cause of any issue due to update. Please do the necessary checking to avoid any issue and it will be better to have a provision to rollback the changes other than removing this updates one by one. This issue spoiled my one week.

Thank you.

Joby George

• Marked as answer by joby003 Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:41 AM
    • Edited by joby003 Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:43 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:41 AM