none
Windows Services Permissions in 2012 / 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I developed a small application that runs as a Windows service, the Windows service triggers another executable at different times during the day.

this application was written in VB.net, it has an imbedded WebBrowser that navigates to a site that is used for user authentication, basically once the user has signed in it creates cookies which are used for the main purpose of this application (authentication), and then to copy files from a local disk to a remote SharePoint site using DavWWWroot (web client).

This is because we use Novel Access Manager for user authentication to our SharePoint sites.

this service and application have worked perfectly on Windows Server 2008 R2 using .NET4.5, but do not work on Windows server 2012 or 2012R2.

the application that I mentioned earlier that has the web browser and uploads files to sharepoint, works perfectly on Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 as long as its executed by a user, or even if its started by adding the path to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows\current version\run

but as soon as its triggered to run by a Windows 2012 Service it does not work correctly.
    I have tried running the service as a user, local service, network service, local system, which doesn't make any difference.
    I can see that the application is being started, just that it doesn't seem to have access to copy files over the network, or even create cookies after the Novel access authentication.

does anybody know what's changed betweek Windows Server 2008 and 2012 that could be causing this? and is it possible to configure permissions for Windows services to the same as Windows 2008?

Thank you and regards
    Matthew

Monday, April 20, 2015 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have noticed that you mentioned Novel Access Manager.

Did you mean it did not work on windows server 2012?

Please make sure the Novel Access Manager configuration is correct on server 2012.

I think you could ask in http://forums.novell.com/forum.php?ref=h to make sure if it is supported for windows server 2012.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:46 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:31 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

The issue is not with Novel, it seems as though it was possible to do much more with Windows services in Windows Server 2008 than it is in Windows Server 2012

I was just wondering why this is, and if its possible to allow a windows service to have the same level of permissions as a logged in user or not, like it was possible with previous versions of Windows Server?

Thank you and regards
    Matthew

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:00 PM