none
Windowsxp remote desktop no logon screen RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was able to remote in to the WindowsXP machine with out any issues.. Suddenly  it is not populating the logon screen after i initiate the rdp session it comes to the blue screen with the mouse pointer and then gets disconnected.. i tried rebooting the machine from the command line.. it says the remote shut down was not supported on the target computer.. Before that i was able to access the network registry of that machine from my local computer.. But now it is giving me make sure that the computer is on the network.. I am able to ping the machine with out any issues.. Any suggestion on this would be really helpful..

Thanks..

Monday, October 14, 2013 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Kolachina1031,

Based on my understanding, you couldn’t connect to a Windows XP computer via remote desktop connection, but could ping the computer successfully. Right?

It would be helpful for future troubleshooting if you could help to collect the following information:

1. Did you use the name or the IP address of the computer you want to connect to when you tried to access it via remote desktop connection? If you used the computer name, please try the IP address again.
    2. Can other computers connect to that Windows XP computer via remote desktop connection successfully? And can this host connect to other computers via remote desktop connection successfully? This can help us to check if the host or the Windows XP computer caused this issue.

What’s more, please try the following methods to solve the unsuccessful connection issue via remote desktop connection:

Method 1: Please check if the remote desktop port (usually 3389) is blocked since this issue may occur if the Remote Desktop port is blocked by the firewall.

Method 2: Please check if the startup type of Remote Desktop Services is set to “Manual”.

1. Click on Start, and type services.msc in the search box, and then press Enter.
    2. Scroll down to Remote Desktop Services.
    3. Double-click on the service, check if its Startup type is set to Manual. If not, set it and click OK to save the change.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Is your system is updated. I suggest you to update your windows and then check also make sure that you VGA drivers and LAN drives are also updated.

Akshay Pate Server Administrator

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:36 AM
  • This is a Directory Services forum and this inquiry is about Windows XP.  I would suggest you repost this question in an XP forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=windowsxpitpro

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    Twitter @pbbergs
    http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/paulbergson

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:53 AM
  • The hard reboot of the machine fixed the issue..
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:11 AM