none
"The parameter is incorrect" error when creating mount point in Server 2008 cluster

Question

• I am receiving the error "The parameter is incorrect" when attempting to create a new mount point in an existing Server 2008 R2 2-node cluster.  This cluster hosts four SQL 2008 virtual servers and I am trying to add new disk to one of those virtual servers.  I am able to create the folder on the virtual server's Root Mount Point and am able to successfuly format the SAN drive, but get the error when pointing the drive at the folder.  I am trying to add this with minimal disruption of the running SQL instances.  I am using the Disk Manager GUI and all permissions are correct, with SYSTEM having FC over the folders on the RMP.

Do I need to completely take the virtual server, to which I am adding the mount point, offline?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:51 AM

Answers

• Turns out, I wasn't adding the disk in the Failover Cluster Manager first.  I was trying to set up the disk and THEN add it to FCM.

Within Failover Cluster Manager, right click on the Storage icon and select Add a disk.  You should now see the new LUN(s) and add them.  They will show up as Cluster Disk # so then you should probably rename them in FCM.  You can then assign the mount points in Disk Manager.

• Marked as answer by Scott Livesey Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:45 PM

All replies

• Turns out, I wasn't adding the disk in the Failover Cluster Manager first.  I was trying to set up the disk and THEN add it to FCM.

Within Failover Cluster Manager, right click on the Storage icon and select Add a disk.  You should now see the new LUN(s) and add them.  They will show up as Cluster Disk # so then you should probably rename them in FCM.  You can then assign the mount points in Disk Manager.

• Marked as answer by Scott Livesey Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Thanks forgot doing this on a core cluster.
    yup
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Actually you get this error when you are adding a mountpoint to a disk which is already a cluster resource.  So if you were to go FCM and detect the storage and rename in FCM, your disk/mp still not showing up in that drive:\MP
    Monday, January 30, 2012 9:37 PM
  • So what do you to get around this? 

First, you are encountering this problem because the Disk where you are trying to mount the Mount Point is in use by the High Availibility Cluster.   You need to go to Cluster Manager and put the Disk where you will be placing the MountPoint on (e.g. L:\) in Maintenance Mode.  Then perform your operation and you will not encounter that error.

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having similar difficulties. My scenario is as follows:

• A failover cluster group exists and has a volume (G:) that successfully moves between nodes.
    • A new volume temporarily added to this existing cluster group with a drive letter (H:), which successfully moves between nodes. Removed from the cluster group so it's listed in Available Storage.
    • In Disk Management I can select Change Drive Letter and Paths. No drive letter exist. I Add a path to G:\MountedDrive and I receive an error, The parameter is incorrect.

Things I've tried:

• Putting the volume into maintenance mode within FCM but it doesn't change the outcome from when it's not in maintenance mode.
    • Removing from FCM entirely then temporarily mounting it as a directory on a local drive, this works. I then try mounting it as a directory on the clustered volume (as above) but again the error persists.
    • Moving the new storage and cluster group to anther node and retrying, but again the error persists.
    • The none of the Event Logs show a single error.

Any ideas?

• Edited by GJCanon Monday, July 22, 2013 12:05 AM Additional detail added.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 12:03 AM