none
Cluster quorum location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Server 2012 2 node cluster. The quorum is on one node and the specific role/cluster service is on the other node. 

First of all, does this matter?? My thoughts are no...?

Second, what happens if the node with the quorum fails? It just fails over I suspect...?

Many thanks

Dave

Monday, October 23, 2017 10:09 PM

Answers

• Based on your description, it sounds like there are three votes in your cluster - one for each node and one for the cluster.  Quorum is defined as one-half the votes plus 1 or 3/2 + 1.  The division ignores the remainder, so quorum is 2.  This can be two nodes or any node and the witness.  If a single node fails, you will be fine.  Everything should failover automatically.

http://dizdarevic.ba/ddamirblog/?p=147 is a blog post that explains cluster quorum.

tim

• Marked as answer by DKAllegro Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:03 AM

All replies

• Quorum is a majority of votes.  In a two node cluster, there is the possibility of three votes - one for each node and possibly one for a witness disk or share.  So your statement that "quorum is on one node" does not make sense.  It is possible to configure individual nodes to either participate or not in quorum voting, but we need to better understand what it is that you mean.

To answer the question about what happens when "the quorum fails", it is better to answer the question "what happens when the cluster cannot establish quorum?"  If quorum cannot be established, the cluster shuts down.

I think we need to understand your environment better.  Does your cluster have a witness disk or share?  Have you altered the quorum votes on your cluster so one or the other of the nodes does not have a quorum vote?

tim

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:41 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

The cluster was shutdown for maintenance and then powered on. On power on the cluster server owner is node 1, the Disk Witness in Quorum owner node is node 1 and the owner node for the disk related to the role is node 2.

So my question is this ok with it staying like this? Everything is green without issue at the moment.

If node 1 was to fail would it all continue to run on node 2 or would there be any manual intervention?

If node 2 was to fail would the service on node 2 failover to node 1?

Apologies if i'm being unclear. 

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:57 AM
  • Based on your description, it sounds like there are three votes in your cluster - one for each node and one for the cluster.  Quorum is defined as one-half the votes plus 1 or 3/2 + 1.  The division ignores the remainder, so quorum is 2.  This can be two nodes or any node and the witness.  If a single node fails, you will be fine.  Everything should failover automatically.

http://dizdarevic.ba/ddamirblog/?p=147 is a blog post that explains cluster quorum.

tim

• Marked as answer by DKAllegro Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:03 AM
  • Thank you very much Tim
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:05 AM