none
Windows 10 Search (Indexing) Network Share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

After upgrading my old Windows 7 Enterprise X64 to Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSB), I lost the ability to search the network drives. With my old Windows 7 setup, I was able to include shared folders in my "Libraries", and this would automatically "index" all those shared folders, files and even the contents of files. It would take seconds to find what I am looking for in thousands of files.

After upgrading to Windows 10, we lost that feature. I am very disappointed the way that Explorer is designed in Windows 10. The search function is only looking for local files and the internet!

Here is what I've done so far;

- Make sure that "Windows Search" service is running and the indexing is functional.

- Enable "Libraries" in Windows 10. (As they decided to disable it by default! Why?? It was a beautiful technology and now we need to use "favorites" ??)

- Make sure that the source of shared folders (file servers) are all indexed properly.

- Add shared folders under "libraries"

- Reset/rebuild indexing

I am out of ideas and this is really a big deal for my day to day tasks. I don't want to install another 3rd party search tool on my workstation & I don't want to go back to Windows 7.

I admit it, even tough it's not at a level that I thought it would be, Windows 10 makes a great operating system. :)

Thanks in advance to all.

Kubilay Elmas MCITP (Enterprise Desktop Administrator Windows 7)

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:04 PM

All replies

• lost the ability to search the network drives.

Someone reported a resolution in this area a while ago...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/bb6cc2d5-1386-4d55-878a-355532cf49b4/windows-search-in-file-explorer-brings-results-if-i-stop-windows-search-service?forum=w8itprogeneral

So, in fact, it wasn't really a resolution, just another workaround for an inexplicable symptom.

Do either of those ideas help your case?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 24, 2015 3:20 AM
  • thanks for your answer. I'll have a look at your link and let you know if it works for me as well.

Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:18 PM
  • Unfortunately, after trying all of the solutions provided in the link, I can confirm you that Windows Search/Indexing is still not working for shared folders/network drives... Not even with hardlinks, libraries or stopping the windows search service. By the way, stopping the "Windows Search Service" is not a solution to me because it also prevents other functions, like searching in Microsoft Outlook!

I started to think that there is really no way of doing that with Windows 10! :(

Monday, October 26, 2015 1:50 PM
  • stopping the "Windows Search Service" is not a solution to me because it also prevents other functions, like searching in Microsoft Outlook!

Then you would have to turn it back on manually.  In my experience if I really don't want search I need to disable it; otherwise it gets re-enabled somehow automatically.  I think searching in Microsoft Outlook (or doing something with Outlook which requires indexing) could be one of those cases.

Otherwise perhaps you will need to investigate "Enterprise Search"?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:59 PM
  • I don't want to get things more complicated than they already are. The main issue here is that Windows 10 search does not search (let alone indexing) network locations. It's ability is limited with local files only!

Whether the Windows search service is enabled or not. I don't know what you are calling "Enterprise Search" but my goal was to avoid any third party software to do this task. By the way, I've already built a "Microsoft Search Server Express" in my network.

Again, the main goal here is to be able to search network files & their contents with the help of built-in Windows 10 search from my workstation.

I've already started to look around for a third party tool.

Thanks again for all the help.

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:06 PM
  • kubilayelmas

As we know, to search shared folders and files, we need to enable offline settings for the shared folders and files.

But in Windows 10, it seems that the indexing for offline files doesn't work.

It seems a potential issue, see similar issue in this thread, and I will record this issue in our platform and please also post feedback on Windows Feedback:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/597cd76b-c62b-49b6-9f84-d9ba6a5637ba/windows-10-offline-files-not-indexed?forum=win10itprogeneral

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:15 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Well, this might be another issue with Windows 10 but It's not related to mine. And we never had to enable "offline files" to be able to search. Windows 7 was able to do that by simply adding a folder in the "indexing options" or adding a folder in "Libraries".

So, again, enabling "offline files" in a company where we have a dedicated file server is non-sense just to be able to search files. The "offline files" setting is only useful for remote users who don't have access to company network all the time. But the Windows indexing / search service is (was) able to index thousands of thousands of network / Local files as long as they were already indexed by the hosting server.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Hi, I was disappointed to find out that you cant search network shares from the start menu like you can in windows 7.  You can however search from the library that the network share is in or from the mapped drive. As long as the share is indexed etc.....

losing features is annoying....MS.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Same thing here, very disappointed that it is no possible to do this.

My company went from Dropbox to Google Drive, with Drive file stream app, wich is recognized by windows as a network/share drive. I can't make instant search anymore with Cortana, I lose a lot of time in my day to day work :(

Come on Microsoft, you can do it !

PS : by the way, @kubilayelmas, did you find any good third party software to do this, and if possible who integrates into windows task bar ?

• Edited by mavoledo Friday, May 25, 2018 8:12 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 8:10 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't seem to be very concerned about this issue as I still mention it every event I go and discuss it with everyone involved... no luck. The users and admins are just left alone on this one...

I found 2 3rd party softwares that they are worth trying. Unfortunately not much integration but still... 

Copernic Desktop Search has a nice product.

I personally bought and using X1 Search. It has nice features like integrating with SharePoint, etc. I would recommend X1.

Another solution that I found and implemented is the Microsoft Search Server Express 2010. It's a sharepoint product but if you take time to implement it well in your enterprise it does the job very well. Yet again, it's browser based and users don't like that!

Hope I could help. Good luck.

Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:17 AM
  • As I sit here in 2018 and have been using Windows 10 for some time, I ROUTINELY resort to using Windows 7... Windows 10 a "great" operating system?  You've got to be kidding.  It doesn't even qualify as 'good'.

The ONLY good feature that I've encountered is the ability to 'mount' an ISO file.

The search failure is just one of the MANY reasons that Windows 10 is not "up-to-snuff" and is the LEAST usable of ANY Windows ever developed...  I've actually started a list of "defects" to keep track of all the 'crapware' features.

Haven't bothered sending it to Microsoft because I've become convinced that if one is a real 'hack' that's who they go to work for and Microsoft doesn't give a shit about you or me anyway.

Never thought I'd have to resort to it.  Have pretty much hated Unix and Xenix since I was a programmer, but have begun to learn Linux because MICROSOFT HAS PUSHED ME TO IT.  They never FIX ANYTHING. Patches have become a real joke - so many of them just screw MORE things up.  They just come out with another incarnation of their OS (or any other product) that is worse than its predecessor and inflicts more pain.  We have become their testers and debuggers, but they don't listen to any input anyway.

Since they have started 'inflicting' adware upon people with their OS, I no longer install the 'latest' version of Windows 10. Have you even seen what it does?  And people are now paying for this?  What a joke!

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:01 AM
  • I am also still facing same issue for SharePoint libraries which got enabled as mapped drive to users. After windows 10 the search is not working for them. Its taking 1min most of the times. Even though they got good PC hardware configurations enabled.

In windows 7 all search seems to work fine.

Thanks & Regards, Krishna

Monday, December 17, 2018 5:31 AM