Auto-start services not running :Shell Hardware Detection in my Health Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I've setup up Windows Server 2012 Essentials on my Custom-made Box. All is going well so far except that i have a warning in my generated Health Report such as  Auto-start Services Not Running Shell Hardware Detection.

I had checked My Services and found out that this particular service is scheduled to start Automatically and it is always started...

Any Advice what might be the problem? 

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:14 AM

Answers

• I see this also whenever a Health Report is auto-generated.  After some researching and not finding very much info, I've decided to ignore the 'Auto-start Services Not Running Shell Hardware Detection' message.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================
    • Marked as answer by Wiseman Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:26 PM

All replies

• I see this also whenever a Health Report is auto-generated.  After some researching and not finding very much info, I've decided to ignore the 'Auto-start Services Not Running Shell Hardware Detection' message.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    • Marked as answer by Wiseman Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Merv?  Let's not start this "ignore this" without bugging this first.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Done.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Anyone know if this has a fix?  I'm getting the same error, 
    Auto-start Services Not Running
    Red Shell Hardware Detection
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Happening on my 2012 Essentials boxes too.  Other than that the reports are always clean. Nothing to "ignore" as in the past SBS boxes at least.
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:50 PM
  • The behaviour of this service Shell Hardware Detection was changed to stop automatically after sometime a user logs off and start when a user logs in.  This was done to prevent minimize surface attacks. This is I believe by design.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:05 AM
  • Susan, can you still see the Connect bug? What Product/Program is it under in Connect? I can't see it but I might not be a member of the correct group.

From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831394.aspx:

"After a server has been added to the Server Manager server pool, service alerts about the Shell Hardware Detection service can be displayed if there are no users logged on to the managed server. This occurs because the Shell Hardware Detection service runs only when users are logged on to the managed server, or connected to a Remote Desktop session on the managed server. To avoid seeing Shell Hardware Detection service alerts for this case, click Services in the thumbnails for server groups, including the All Servers group. In the Services Detail View dialog box, on the Services drop-down list, clear the check box for Shell Hardware Detection, and then click OK."

That confirms that it's okay for Shell Hardware Detection not to be running. However the suggested fix--removing it from 2012 alerting--does not keep it off my 2012E Health Report.

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi everyone!

Any update on the issue?
    It is a little annoying to have the red flag showing up in every health report. For now i have set the startup type of "Shell Hardware Detection" to "Manual" as i don´t need the feature on my WSE 2k12 R2 anyway.

I guess the report functionality includes all "Automatic" startup type services. Isn´t there a way to just excluded a single service from being monitored and showing up in the report?

Cheers

Jens Vorast - MCITP, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud

• Edited by Jens Vorast Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:15 AM
  • I also solved this by setting the startup to manual for the Shell Hardware Detection service. Since the behavior of the service was changed to shut down on idle and demand start on user logon I think that manual startup is the proper setting for this service.
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:40 PM
  • So it's a year and a half since the first post in this thread. In the meantime, I've upgraded to Essentials 2012 R2. The bug persists in the OS, though it's 404 Not Found in Connect.

I don't see the alert in Server Manager, only on the Essentials Health Report.

The whole point of the Health Report is to allow a quick overview of server health. Training users to ignore red is not a solution.

It does seem that the trigger starts the service automatically at logon even when when the service is set to Manual. I'll try that. But that seems questionable since by default it is set to Automatic.

How do we turn off this alert?

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:31 AM
  • Try putting the service to manual.  In the meantime email me at susan-at-msmvps.com and let's see if we can get some bugs filed.

My blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:50 AM
  • Following this thread since I have the same issue on my WS2012R2 Essentials...   Apparently, due to this issue, other alarm I get under "Autostart Services not Running" is the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service....  Not that I need it on the server, but as others stated it is annoying to see it listed/red every day.

I assume this is normal due to Shell Hardware Discovery not running....?  If I set that to Manual, can I assume WIA will still be lit?

Bill P.

• Edited by wpanic Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:25 PM
  • On Essentials 2012 R2, I do not have a service called Windows Image Acquisition.

I haven't seen this issue since setting Shell Hardware Detection to Manual. I assume you could do the same for WIA.

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Got around to setting to manual and all is now good - No more alarms!

Thanks for the help

wpanic

Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:49 PM
  • I know it's been a while on this, but I see this also.

Is this a Hyper-V box?  I find that even though it's Essentials that runs the report, if the Hyper-V host is logged in, I get this error.  If Hyper-V is logged out, I don't.  I don't use remote management for my Hyper-V box because I have it on an analog IP KVM switch (it's a Supermicro Avoton 8-core Atom system), so sometimes I'm on the Hyper-V box with physical access, using RDP into a VM, and I forget to log off near the end of the day, so this error pops up for me when the report generates.

I figure the error has to do with Essentials not being able to get the hardware info from Hyper-V while Hyper-V is logged in....or something like that.  My Hyper-V host is connected to my Essentials domain too, which might be part of the reason for the flip-flop on the login status over what Microsoft says might happen in the TechNet library link below.  I have it configured this way for a number of reasons which make managing my box simpler for my setup.  On days where I'm not logged in on the Hyper-V host, the report comes up all green, regardless of the login status of the Essentials VM.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:44 PM
  • I manage three Essentials 2012 R2 installations, one under Hyper-V and two on bare metal. I was getting this error on all of them. Setting Shell Hardware Detection to Manual stopped the error.

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Friday, February 13, 2015 4:59 PM
  • Maybe this help you.

http://www.systemcenter.ninja/2013/07/windows-server-2012-server-manager-red.html

Monday, February 6, 2017 11:59 AM
  • Four years later, took over another Essentials 2012 R2 installation, same issue:  Shell Hardware Detection flagged in daily Health report, but not showing up as an alert in the Essentials Dashboard. In Server Manager, removed the service from alerting but still appears in Essentials report. Changing service to Manual.
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Recently I've setup up Windows Server 2012 Essentials on my Custom-made Box. All is going well so far except that i have a warning in my generated Health Report such as  Auto-start Services Not Running Shell Hardware Detection.

I had checked My Services and found out that this particular service is scheduled to start Automatically and it is always started...

Any Advice what might be the problem? 

• Proposed as answer by erictessels Monday, December 9, 2019 2:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by erictessels Monday, December 9, 2019 2:10 AM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 2:10 AM