none
Customer question regarding known issues of raising functional domains above 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer that is wanting to know on a high level if there are any known issues of raising functional domains from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 and beyond?
    Friday, April 19, 2019 2:47 PM

Answers

• Pretty vague but the primary impact of raising the domain functional level is that you will not be able to install down-level domain controllers. Other than this there should be no negative impact.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:53 PM

All replies

• Pretty vague but the primary impact of raising the domain functional level is that you will not be able to install down-level domain controllers. Other than this there should be no negative impact.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

I agree with Dave, and from What is the Impact of Upgrading the Domain or Forest Functional Level?, we can see:

Once the Functional Level has been upgraded, new DCs on running on downlevel versions of Windows Server cannot be added to the domain or forest. The problems that might arise when installing downlevel DCs become pronounced with new features that change the way objects are replicated (i.e. Linked Value Replication). To prevent these issues from arising, a new DC must be at the same level, or greater, than the functional level of the domain or forest.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 22, 2019 6:26 AM