none
Credentials to authorize DHCP server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have two separate Virtual Instances. One is an AD DS server and on the other I am trying to install the DHCP role. The DHCP role installs on the server, but my issue is during the Post-Install. When I get to the screen that says "Specify the credentials to be used to authorize this DHCP server in AD DS", it has blocked out the option to the the user credentials of the DHCP server. However, when I chose to use alternate credentials and select Specify  and enter the username/password for my AD DS server, it says it cannot detect a logon server with that name. I'm unsure what to do here. The DHCP server is already added to the domain of my Active Directory server, and I have tried using the username of my server which is just Administrator right now along with my password but it does not take it. What am I supposed to be entering here? 
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:29 PM

Answers

• In the AD forest root domain (or if your a single domain that is the root) there will be a group called Enterprise Admins.  The credentials have to be a member of this group that your using to authorize the DHCP server.  I would enter them as domain\account if your in a child domain from the root.

Your probably logging in as a Domain Admin normally, as it is bad practice to regularly use Enterprise Admin day to day (though I have seen it happen)

Dave Lawlor
    I offer advice as is, and you use that advice at your own risk. I am not in your environment so I may not infer everything that is going on there from your post/question. Use common sense if you know this advice conflicts with your environment.

• Edited by Dave Lawlor Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:01 PM clarify
    • Marked as answer by Rodericka96 Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:50 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:59 PM

All replies

• You need to specify an Enterprise Administrator to authorize a DHCP server unless you have delegated that permission to a non-EA account.

Dave Lawlor
    I offer advice as is, and you use that advice at your own risk. I am not in your environment so I may not infer everything that is going on there from your post/question. Use common sense if you know this advice conflicts with your environment.

• Edited by Dave Lawlor Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:33 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:33 PM
  • You need to specify an Enterprise Administrator to authorize a DHCP server unless you have delegated that permission to a non-EA account.

Dave Lawlor

How would I do this?
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:36 PM
  • Follow this Technet article but you will need to be logged in as an Enterprise Admin to do it of course

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd183609(v=ws.10)

Dave Lawlor

• Edited by Dave Lawlor Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:39 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Follow this Technet article but you will need to be logged in as an Enterprise Admin to do it of course

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd183609(v=ws.10)

Dave Lawlor

Alright thank you. I will try this and report back
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:43 PM
  • Just to be clear, you dont have to do the delegation.  If you just enter an Enterprise Admin account credentials when it asks for it for alternate credentials that would work for you also.  Delegation would really be useful if you were going to have non-EA admins working a lot with DHCP

Dave Lawlor

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Just to be clear, you dont have to do the delegation.  If you just enter an Enterprise Admin account credentials when it asks for it for alternate credentials that would work for you also.  Delegation would really be useful if you were going to have non-EA admins working a lot with DHCP

Dave Lawlor

Forgive me, but what do you mean by Enterprise Admin? Is that just the normal administrator account that I use to sign into the AD server with or is it something else? Because I have been trying to log in that way and it just gives me the error that it can't find a logon server with that name. Im not sure if I should be entering as administrator/domain name or just as administrator

• Edited by Rodericka96 Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:53 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:51 PM
  • In the AD forest root domain (or if your a single domain that is the root) there will be a group called Enterprise Admins.  The credentials have to be a member of this group that your using to authorize the DHCP server.  I would enter them as domain\account if your in a child domain from the root.

Your probably logging in as a Domain Admin normally, as it is bad practice to regularly use Enterprise Admin day to day (though I have seen it happen)

Dave Lawlor

• Edited by Dave Lawlor Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:01 PM clarify
    • Marked as answer by Rodericka96 Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:50 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:59 PM
  • The account you have logged in with does not have the right permissions to the domain. Try enterprise admin or Domain admin accounts. 
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:20 PM