none
Add IIS snap-in on Windows 2008 (non-R2) without IIS installed locally?

Question

• I want to install the IIS PowerShell snap-in on a Windows 2008 server (not R2) that does not have IIS installed locally; is this possible?  The goal is to run administratrive scripts from a "management" workstation that would query IIS servers.

The snap-in installer package will not install if IIS 7.0 or 7.5 is not detected on the system.  But I have installed in an IIS server.  Can I copy the module/snap-in files to a system without IIS, and load and use them?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• See the topics in

get-help about_Remote*

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:06 PM
  • The WebAdministration module requires x64 architecture. If you have a x64 2008 Server you can try to copy the respective files, but, it would be unsupported.  I strongly doubt you would be able to run it because, to the best of my knowledge, the IIS modules reflect the local machine. Hence, a server without IIS renders the modules useless. I have not tested this, but, suspect it is correct.  There was a post yesterday to the effect of running modules from boxes with the actual software on it. 

Also, as Karl noted, there are ways to load functionality in your machine without having the actual module/software installed on that system. Essentially, you load a PSSession to a remote machine with what you want to use already installed, add the module, then, pull that session locally. It does take remoting, so, everything has to be setup up accordingly. There is a section in Don Jones' book on it.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

If we copied the Web Admmin module folder to the target computers module folder, it still could not be loaded as a module.

The below thread should be helpful, please refer to it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/thread/11e3f454-b574-4aac-b6e8-358af191c6c5

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 16, 2012 2:07 AM