Moving user profiles from Terminal Server 2003 to Remote Desktop Connection Server 2008 R2

Question

• Is there a migration tool available that will move a users' exisitng profile from 2003 to 2008 R2? If not what is the best method to use?

Thank you in advance!

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I’m afraid that User State Migration Tool (USMT) cannot be installed or executed on the Windows Server operating systems (Version 2003 and 2008) so far. The information has been stated in the team blog below:

What version of USMT can be installed on Windows Server 2003 or 2008?

http://blogs.technet.com/usmt/archive/2008/07/10/what-version-of-usmt-can-be-installed-on-windows-server-2003-or-2008.aspx

The second method of KB947025 is applicable for Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 user profile migration but it quite depends on your exact requirements. The general analysis is as following:

·          For the local upgrading scenario, please refer to the upgrade path as below to determine whether the in-place upgrade is supported:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979563(WS.10).aspx

If it is, please backup the necessary data including the profiles and finish the upgrading process.

However, if it is not supported to upgrade or you don’t want to implement the in-place upgrade on the same server, you need to migrate the user profile based on the following situations:

·          Roaming Profile: The following KB article is helpful in this scenario:

(KB947025) Support guidelines for migrating roaming user profiles data to Windows Vista or to Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;947025

·          Local Profile: There is no out-of-box way to support the automatic migration based on my experience. You may need to manually migrate the data into the new profile locations. The following thread is discussing on the similar requirement:

Term Server 2003(32bit) migration to new Term Server 2008(64bit) box
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/73268ddf-82fe-4274-abf5-3539670c7468

I hope the information above helps. I’d like to know if this issue is related to your Terminal Services / Remote Desktop Services environment, in that case I can help you based on the practical situation. If the issue is not related to TS/RDS technologies, I will help you find better support resource.

Thanks.

·         Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfd@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Hello,

The profile structure changes between Windows Server 2008 (both non-R2 and R2) and Windows Server 2003 is similar to the comparison between Windows Vista / 7 and Windows XP. For this topic, the following article could be one the best demonstration:

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx

Please let us know if you need any further assistance. Thanks and have a nice day.

·         Lionel Chen

• Marked as answer by laj7777 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hello Lionel,

My experiences with the Immidio Flex Profiles are very good. As you only save specific user settings for Windows or other applications these settings can be used on all Windows Platforms. You start of with a mandatory profile and at logoff a scriptset is run to save settings. Off course at logon only these settings are set again.

I use it in any terminal server implementation and for me it works flawless.

Regards Robert

Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:44 AM

All replies

• hello laj,

you can find more information about your request here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947025/en-us

Let's me know if it's helpfull.

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Yes this is helpful; so I need to install the USMT 3.0 on the Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server and run the Scan State command, then install USMT 3.0 on the 2008 R2 Server and run the Load State command, in which I copy all of the profiles on the 2003 Server server? In the Support Guidelines for Migrating Roaming User Profiles (Article ID: 947025) it states that the USMT can only be used on client machines, is this true?
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Hello,

I’m afraid that User State Migration Tool (USMT) cannot be installed or executed on the Windows Server operating systems (Version 2003 and 2008) so far. The information has been stated in the team blog below:

What version of USMT can be installed on Windows Server 2003 or 2008?

http://blogs.technet.com/usmt/archive/2008/07/10/what-version-of-usmt-can-be-installed-on-windows-server-2003-or-2008.aspx

The second method of KB947025 is applicable for Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 user profile migration but it quite depends on your exact requirements. The general analysis is as following:

·          For the local upgrading scenario, please refer to the upgrade path as below to determine whether the in-place upgrade is supported:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979563(WS.10).aspx

If it is, please backup the necessary data including the profiles and finish the upgrading process.

However, if it is not supported to upgrade or you don’t want to implement the in-place upgrade on the same server, you need to migrate the user profile based on the following situations:

·          Roaming Profile: The following KB article is helpful in this scenario:

(KB947025) Support guidelines for migrating roaming user profiles data to Windows Vista or to Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;947025

·          Local Profile: There is no out-of-box way to support the automatic migration based on my experience. You may need to manually migrate the data into the new profile locations. The following thread is discussing on the similar requirement:

Term Server 2003(32bit) migration to new Term Server 2008(64bit) box
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/73268ddf-82fe-4274-abf5-3539670c7468

I hope the information above helps. I’d like to know if this issue is related to your Terminal Services / Remote Desktop Services environment, in that case I can help you based on the practical situation. If the issue is not related to TS/RDS technologies, I will help you find better support resource.

Thanks.

·         Lionel Chen

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

Thanks for your reply. Here is the exact situation:

Currently the customer is running two Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, 32-bit, Terminal Servers that are stand alone. There are two new 2008 R2 64-bit servers implemented in the domain running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition, 64-bit, RDC Services. The customer uses older desktops that support RDP (2000 Professional, XP Professional, etc.). and a few newer clients that run Windows 7. The RDC is supporting several applications including MS Office 2003 (Outlook is also running using POP).

I logged into the RDC as a test user to pre-create a domain profile for a user that exists in the domain, then copied over the same test profile from the 2003 TS (Documents and Settings directory) to the new RDC server (User directory). I ended up with several errors as well as data that cannot be located. In the TS profile the data is still there, but in the new profile (RDC) it is not. It also creates a new domain profile in which I had to rename as old, then rename the copied profile to a domain one, which is the only way that I could get the .pst files to open in Outlook (with errors). The customer is open to some of the ideas that you posted, but seems to be most interested in moving the exisitng profiles manually, since he needs to have the TS servers up and running in production and has the time to move user by user. Is there an article that shows data location comparisons and commonalities between Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 user profile directory paths? The default for 2003 is Documents and Settings, but for 2008 it is Users.

Thank you for your help!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hello,

The profile structure changes between Windows Server 2008 (both non-R2 and R2) and Windows Server 2003 is similar to the comparison between Windows Vista / 7 and Windows XP. For this topic, the following article could be one the best demonstration:

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx

Please let us know if you need any further assistance. Thanks and have a nice day.

·         Lionel Chen

• Marked as answer by laj7777 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hello,

In these kind of scenarios I use the Immidio Flex Profiles. With Flex you can create and save only those application / windows settings and use them on both platforms W2K3 and W2K8. It will take a little time to implement but in the end you will be more flexible.

http://www.immidio.com

Regards Robert

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Robert for the information on the profile handling software. I wll look into this as an option.

Larry

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hello Larry,

Please share with us the result after testing the suggestion from Robert. That will be quite helpful for other community members who face the similar issues.

Thanks.

Lionel Chen

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Hello Lionel,

My experiences with the Immidio Flex Profiles are very good. As you only save specific user settings for Windows or other applications these settings can be used on all Windows Platforms. You start of with a mandatory profile and at logoff a scriptset is run to save settings. Off course at logon only these settings are set again.

I use it in any terminal server implementation and for me it works flawless.

Regards Robert

Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hello Robert,

Thanks for sharing the useful information. If Larry feels the suggestions satisfying, he or I will mark your suggestion as an answer.

Your ideas are very appreciated in our forum. Have a nice day!

Lionel Chen

Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Here is the final procedure that we used to move user profiles from two 2003 Terminal Servers to different 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Connection Servers:

We looked into Immidio and the client looked at pricing etc. in which he decided that the best alternative for him was to use a manual method that fit in with his schedule better, as well as the schedule of his IT staff. Here is the method that was used to successfully migrate user profiles from Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server to Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Connection Server:

1.      Copy a user profile(s) that you want to migrate from the 2003 Terminal Server to a Windows XP Professional machine. Save it (them) in the Documents and Settings directory.

2.      Logon to the Windows XP Professional machine as one of the users whose profile was moved. Check in the Documents and Settings directory to make sure that you have not created a new profile for the user. If the profile that you copied was named the username, and you see that there is a username.domainanme in the Documents and Settings directory, then there has been a new profile created. If this is the case then rename the username. DOMAINNAME to username.old, and rename the username profile to username.DOMAINNAME, using all caps.

3.      Log back on as the user and make sure that it is the “old” 2003 Terminal Server profile. If it is, and it should be, then log off of the Windows XP Professional machine. The profile is ready to transfer. (Do this for all user profiles that you want to transfer).

4.      Using a Windows 7 machine and a USB drive, start the Windows Easy Transfer wizard and go through the steps. Once the required steps are completed, remove the USB drive and place it into a USB port on the Windows XP Professional machine.

5.      Start the Windows Easy Transfer wizard on the XP Professional machine; it will go through all of the profiles that you have copied from your 2003 Terminal Server. Choose the profiles that you want to copy. These will be saved on the USB flash drive.

6.      Place the flash drive into a USB port on the Windows 7 machine and complete the Windows Easy Transfer wizard. All of the profiles that you chose will now be converted to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 format.

7.      Copy the converted files from the Users folder on the Windows 7 machine using a mapped drive to the Users folder on the RDC Server.

8.      Apply the appropriate permissions to the profile for that user; which is usually Full Control.

9.      Test each user account and make sure that a new profile is not recreated. If so follow the same procedure outlined in Step 2.

We got this procedure down to around 15 minutes per user profile (minus the copying time of the profile from the 2003 Terminal Server to the XP Pro machine). Each user that was moved has reported no issues. This customer was also using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and POP3 service, in which there were around 50% errors; but a simple re-mapping to the .pst files resolved the issue. You will also notice that there is a great deal of some type of file-level compression as well as the removal of unneeded files during the conversion process; this is ideal for moving and working with the converted profiles.

Done

Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Laj777  Thanks for sharing your experienced.  What method did you use to copy from 2003 ts to xp & from 7 to 2008?
    Monday, May 31, 2010 2:15 AM