Is it possible to install Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 6? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As I stated in the title, is it possible to install 8.1 on a Surface Pro 6? I installed Win8.1 via the normal way and DISM. During first boot, I get a BSOD with the error code: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. When Windows restarts, I get a recovery error saying that after multiple tries Windows failed to boot also with the error code: 0xc0000001. How can I fix this?

Monday, June 8, 2020 4:20 AM

All replies

• I get a recovery error saying that after multiple tries Windows failed to boot also with the error code: 0xc0000001. How can I fix this?

Hi 2W10,

I see you are not the first user to encounter a similar problem - Is it possible to run Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 6However, no replies have been received.

The 0xc0000001 error code can be caused by a wide variety of causes, with the most common one being system file corruption, or some booting files are corrupted, or damaged memory.

Unfortunately, according to official information, Surface Pro 6 supports only the following OS version: Windows 10, version 1709 build 16299 and later versions.

Avis de non-responsabilité:
    Mon opinion ne peut pas coïncider avec la position officielle de Microsoft.

Bien cordialement, Andrei ...

MCP

Monday, June 8, 2020 4:46 AM
  • I know it is unsupported by Microsoft, but would it be possible for 8.1 to boot and run on the SP6? Would I have to integrate SP6 drivers into a Windows 8.1 iso? What will I need to do to get 8.1 on the Surface Pro 6? I am open to doing anything.
    Monday, June 8, 2020 4:33 PM
  • I get a BSOD with the error code: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR.

2W10,

Unfortunately if you received the above error, then I have to say that your SP6 is not compatible for Windows 8.1.  I am not sure if you can find drivers to fix this error.

P.S. Unfortunately without compatible drivers,  you can install/use 
    Windows 8.1. onyour SP6.

MCP

• Edited by SQx Monday, June 8, 2020 5:50 PM updated
    • Marked as answer by 2W10 Wednesday, June 10, 2020 4:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by 2W10 Wednesday, June 10, 2020 4:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by sylvia_chenMicrosoft contingent staff Friday, June 12, 2020 6:20 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2020 5:47 PM
  • I made an 8.1 VM in VMWare but I didn't install VMWare tools. I made a backup of the VM and imaged it onto the Surface with Macrium Reflect. When I try to boot (on the Surface), Windows attempts to repair but then gives me a Recovery with the error code: 0xc000000e. Is there a way to get past this error?
    Edit: I was able to get past that error using the command
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    However, after restarting, I get a BSOD with the same error. However, Windows does try to repair the surface but it dosen't work and I am given an option to restart or use advanced options.
    • Edited by 2W10 Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2020 9:32 PM
  • Hi 2W10,

As SQx mentioned before,  you cannot install Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 6 because of compatible driversIn order to avoid you cannot  receive official support in the future.

So  I recommend you install Windows 10, version 1709 build 16299 and later versions on 

Surface Pro 6

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, June 12, 2020 8:03 AM
  • I get a BSOD with the error code: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR.

2W10,

Unfortunately if you received the above error, then I have to say that your SP6 is not compatible for Windows 8.1.  I am not sure if you can find drivers to fix this error.

P.S. Unfortunately without compatible drivers,  you can install/use 
    Windows 8.1. onyour SP6.

MCP

If I were to intregrate unofficial Kaby Lake drivers and the other SP6 drivers into an Windows 8.1 iso, do you think it would solve the BSOD problem?  One of the reasons is that Kaby Lake does not support 8.1.
    • Edited by 2W10 Sunday, August 2, 2020 2:28 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2020 2:27 AM