none
Redirected printers offline!

Question

• Hi,

We have a windows server 2008 TS in the field.  From time to time the spooler goes down, every redirected printers get the offline status.
    To put them back online we need to give the admin users the permissions on the printer and we also need to make that user owner before we can make any changes.

This is a good working around solutions for few users.  But if you have 30 users and all of them have printers redirected, that is impossible to handle.
    I'm seeking for a solution where the admin's have full control over the redirected printers.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

• Ili,

I agree with Jeff - you have to take ownership to manage printers. 

My concern is why your spooler is crashing. With 40 users or so, each having a printer, this seems weird to have a spooler crash  since you are using EasyPrint. The whole idea is that you would avoid bringing down the spooler because you dont have to install potentially hazardous drivers on the terminal server.

Is it possible that you had installed drivers in the past, and then moved to EasyPrint later? Could someone still be printing this way (the non-EasyPrint method)?

Thanks,

Kristin L. Griffin

Kristin L. Griffin
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:05 AM

All replies

• This is most likely a problem with a bad print driver.

1)  You can use StressPrinters from Citrix to test your print drivers to
    find the bad one.  http://support.citrix.com/article/ctx109374
    2)  You can use the spooler cleaner from microsoft to simply remove all
    printers http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-
    57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en and then use Easy Print.
    3)  If you know which one is bad you can also map that driver to a known
    good driver using this article:  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239088
    4)  You can also combine 1 and 3 if you find the bad print drivers.

Friday, May 15, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Thnx for the info.  But my problem is the fact that i can't manage the redirected printers with the administrators unless I take the ownership of the printer.
    In windows 2003 TS, the administrator has full rights for all printers.  also the redirected ones.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Are you using Easy Print or actual print drivers?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Easy print

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Actually try this:  http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2007/10/05/introducing-terminal-services-easy-print-part-3.aspx

that allow syou to view them not manage them which you must take ownership to actually manage them.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Thnx Jeff,

but I found this article also and at this moment this the way we are managing printers.  But if you have 40 printers on the server it's a lot of work to give the wright permissions. 
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Ili,

I agree with Jeff - you have to take ownership to manage printers. 

My concern is why your spooler is crashing. With 40 users or so, each having a printer, this seems weird to have a spooler crash  since you are using EasyPrint. The whole idea is that you would avoid bringing down the spooler because you dont have to install potentially hazardous drivers on the terminal server.

Is it possible that you had installed drivers in the past, and then moved to EasyPrint later? Could someone still be printing this way (the non-EasyPrint method)?

Thanks,

Kristin L. Griffin

Kristin L. Griffin
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:05 AM
  • I have to agree with Kristin, it's better to fix the problem rather than the symptom.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:41 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue (spool crashes, at least once daily!). A quick workaroud I found is to disconnect and then reconnect to the session, and the printers should show up again.

Why the spool service is crashing is a mystery however.

We're using Hyper-V. The guest OS (the TS with the spool crashes) is running Windows 2008 Ent (x64) (w/SP2) and printing is done via Easy Print (server was freshly re-built, so no 3rd party drivers have ever been installed). We have about 30-40 concurrent users on the system.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Have you folks seen these?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958894

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=955560

If those don't help:

Can you please scour your logs, and see if anything in any of them correlate time wise, meaning, you can see the spooler crash in the logs, then are there any other events occurring around that time? These events may not show up in the same log so you may need to rummage through all your logs.  Also, if you are getting a spool crash event then does the event ID details give you any ideas as to which DLL or exe (aside from spoolsv) might be involved?

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Kristin L. Griffin
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:28 PM
  • At that time we're getting:

Event ID 1000:
    Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03626, faulting module localspl.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e04141, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000000243b2, process id 0x7620, application start time 0x01c9e30febedd84e.

Event ID 1530 (a few milliseconds before the spool event above):
    Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
    1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2081393927-2147082186-2240987824-4257_Classes:
    Process 916 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2081393927-2147082186-2240987824-4257_CLASSES

Event ID 45058:

Event ID 3:

To stop logging information events for the print spooler, in Control Panel, open Printers, right-click a blank area of the window, click Run as Administrator, click Server Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then clear the Log spooler information events check box.

A logon cache entry for user joleenr@DOMAINNAME.LOCAL was the oldest entry and was removed. The timestamp of this entry was 6/1/2009 16:53:37.Printer Brother HL-5170DN series (redirected 41) was deleted, and users will no longer be able to print to this printer. No user action is required.
    ------

That's pretty much it for events around the time of the spool crash.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:04 PM
  • We managed to solve most of the spooler crashes by changing a few (client-side) printer settings (mainly disabling SNMP in the port settings of IP printers) (we also unlisted any uncessesary printers in AD but I think the SNMP settings would have the most effect, as I've seen that mentioned in other posts). It was a pain to do as well (very time consuming going into the properties of each printer on each system (remotely, but still)).

Not a true fix, but it works for me (server spooler hasn't crashed in a few days since I've made these changes).
    • Proposed as answer by IvanZ Monday, June 08, 2009 11:13 PM
    • Edited by IvanZ Monday, June 08, 2009 11:19 PM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:44 PM
  • I've been searching arround for a long time but without any success.  Even writing a script seems not to be easy.
    If someone has other suggestions I'm open for any idea's.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:34 PM
  • I've been searching arround for a long time but without any success.  Even writing a script seems not to be easy.
    If someone has other suggestions I'm open for any idea's.

Hi

Am using terminal server 2008 with eazy print. The problem I am facing is that, whenever I restsrt the print spooler most of the redirected client printers going to offline and I am unable to make it as online. what ever i do it is showing access denied.

Thnks

Syam

Monday, May 10, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Hi Syam,

The access denied error is showing becouse you are not a Printer operator. add your self to Print operator in windows 2008.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2007/10/05/introducing-terminal-services-easy-print-part-3.aspx

Hope this helps,

S.Sridharan

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:57 AM