none
Notification Settings on Windows 7 GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Currently Group policy blocks the behavior of all notification icons to only show notifications and it is greyed out for users. I am trying to figure out where the policy for this, as I do not see that set in any of the policy's I have created. I am working on these policies with two other people, so it is possible that they set it. I want the users to be able to change this setting so they can hide icons they are not interested in seeing. Oddly enough the system icons can be customized. Thanks in advance for the help!

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean that in the window showing "Select which icons and notifications appear on the taskbar", all the options are greyed out? Is the option “Always show all icons and notification on the taskbar” checked? Can you see the message like “Some settings are managed by your system administrator”? Please check whether you have enabled the following group policy setting:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar

Hide the notification area

Please also check whether you have the following registry deployed on the problematic clients:

Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following location.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Check if there is a value named “NoAutoTrayNotify”. If it is set to '1', please modify it to '0'.

Exit the Registry Editor and log Off/Log On to check the results.

Thanks.

Nina
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:33 AM