none
Unable to boot Windows Server 2016

Question

• Hello there :)

I've been struggling and spending a lot of time on this issue, and I've reached a point where I have no clue how to troubleshoot further, so this is my last shot. For a few weeks ago, I installed Windows Server 2016 - Evaluation Copy on my DC on a HDD - everything worked flawless. Yesterday I acquired a SSD, which I started to install WS 2016, using the same USB key. The installation went fine as usual, and I pulled out the USB key when it was done and about  to restart.

When I booted my server up, nothing happend, only a black screen and a blinking underscore as in command prompt etc - but I didn't get any "operation system missing" or anything like that. The funny thing is that when I boot the server with the USB key plugged in, and doesn't press a key to continue to installation, it actually proceeds to load the OS as it should be. So, my system works fine, but I need the USB key to boot up, and that's not a satisfying solution.

I've searched a lot for similar issues, and I've used DISKPART to make sure the partition of the OS i active etc., and bootrec to fik MBR, Boot and to rebuild BCD - Nothing works. 

I hope some of you have a clue about this, because I'm out of ideas.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:05 AM

All replies

• Its possible the USB holds the system partition. Take a look in Disk Management to see where the system and boot partitions are located.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 5:56 AM