none
Trunked and port channelled virtual switch

Question

• Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone has achieved much with load balancing their virtual switch NICs in addition with implementing VLAN tagging.  My VM hosts are 2-socket, 8-core HP DL380 G5 servers with 4 Gb NICs.  My plan was to dedicate one card for management and in an ideal world, port-channel the three remaining NICs into a 3 Gb pipe and to trunk this port-channel and supply VLAN tags on each VM.  This provides me with the best mix of performance and reliability.  There is no messy manual division of VMs between the three NICs and if one NIC goes down, none of my VMs do.

I have been able to successfully implement the VLAN tagging with 2 seperate NICs trunked and have switched VMs between Vitrual Switches setup on these trunked NICs and I have also been able to implement an 802.3ad (LACP) team with the two NICs without trunking and have got multiple VMs working through it.

The problem seems to be when I combine the two things.  The switch on the other end can see the MAC of the VM on the other side of the trunk, but I never get any IP over this connection.  I saw a similar thing when I implemented the trunking to begin with and there were two different methodologies to get around it.  On the Broadcom based NIC I had to set VLAN ID on the properties of the NIC in device manager Advanced tab to "1" and on the Intel-based NIC I had to find the NIC proerties in the registry and set the VlanFiltering string value to 0, as referenced in a couple of posts on this forum.

Has anyone achieved with with HP or other hardware?

Cheers,
    Jeremy.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:58 AM

Answers

• Actually I got this working in my situation.  Here is how:

My hardware is as follows:
    HP DL380 G5
    Dual on-board NC373i NICs (broadcom chipset) - using one for management and one for the team
    Plug-in card NC360T dual port GB (intel chipset) - using both for the team
    Cisco Catalyst 4000 (all switchports in the same blade of the switch)

From a clean build of WS08 Enterprise do the following:
    1. Configured the first on-board NIC as the Management NIC, unbind IPv6 from it since we don't need that
    2. For the remaining on-board NIC (NC373i - broadcom chipset) go to the properties of the card in device manager and on the advanced tab set "VLAN ID" = 1 and "Priotiy and VLAN" = Enabled
    3. Open REGEDIT and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class and then search on the Device name (in my case NC360).  For the Intel based cards I will set the vlanfiltering REG_SZ to 0 for both cards
    4. Reboot the server
    5. Open the HP Network Config utility and add the three team NICs to a team and set the "Team Type Selection" to "Transmit Load Balancing"
    6. On the VLAN tab, add each VLAN you want any VM to be able to use.  Close all the dialogs and wait for the HP Network Config Utility to do its thing.  You will end up with 1 virtual NIC per VLAN id that you entered.
    7. Open Hyper-V manager and open Virtual Network Manager
    8. Add a Vitrual Network Switch on each of your Virtual NICs and name accordingly
    9. I then went in and unbound all the network protocols from the Virtual Switch NICs because I don't want them being used for any regular traffic.
    10. Configure your network ports as follows:
      interface GigabitEthernet6/38
       description DHA-P-VMH-02 (trunk)
       switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
       switchport mode trunk
       spanning-tree portfast
       spanning-tree cost 20000

Now we will try to do the same thing with Swith Assisted Load Balancing (LACP).

I will post here about how I go.

Cheers,
    Jeremy.

• Marked as answer by JeremyHagan Monday, August 04, 2008 4:51 AM
    Monday, August 04, 2008 4:51 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Jeremy,

802.3ad support is provided by NIC vendors in their NIC teaming solutions so it would be up to them to support it in Hyper-V.

However, the current solutions tend to break virtualization because they make assumptions about MAC addresses that don’t hold true in virtualization. They assume that the only valid MAC addresses are those of the NICs so they "lose" the MAC addresses for the VMs.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Actually I got this working in my situation.  Here is how:

My hardware is as follows:
    HP DL380 G5
    Dual on-board NC373i NICs (broadcom chipset) - using one for management and one for the team
    Plug-in card NC360T dual port GB (intel chipset) - using both for the team
    Cisco Catalyst 4000 (all switchports in the same blade of the switch)

From a clean build of WS08 Enterprise do the following:
    1. Configured the first on-board NIC as the Management NIC, unbind IPv6 from it since we don't need that
    2. For the remaining on-board NIC (NC373i - broadcom chipset) go to the properties of the card in device manager and on the advanced tab set "VLAN ID" = 1 and "Priotiy and VLAN" = Enabled
    3. Open REGEDIT and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class and then search on the Device name (in my case NC360).  For the Intel based cards I will set the vlanfiltering REG_SZ to 0 for both cards
    4. Reboot the server
    5. Open the HP Network Config utility and add the three team NICs to a team and set the "Team Type Selection" to "Transmit Load Balancing"
    6. On the VLAN tab, add each VLAN you want any VM to be able to use.  Close all the dialogs and wait for the HP Network Config Utility to do its thing.  You will end up with 1 virtual NIC per VLAN id that you entered.
    7. Open Hyper-V manager and open Virtual Network Manager
    8. Add a Vitrual Network Switch on each of your Virtual NICs and name accordingly
    9. I then went in and unbound all the network protocols from the Virtual Switch NICs because I don't want them being used for any regular traffic.
    10. Configure your network ports as follows:
      interface GigabitEthernet6/38
       description DHA-P-VMH-02 (trunk)
       switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
       switchport mode trunk
       spanning-tree portfast
       spanning-tree cost 20000

Now we will try to do the same thing with Swith Assisted Load Balancing (LACP).

I will post here about how I go.

Cheers,
    Jeremy.

• Marked as answer by JeremyHagan Monday, August 04, 2008 4:51 AM
    Monday, August 04, 2008 4:51 AM