none
Firewall prevents me from installing Yahoo messenger and windows live messenger

General discussion

• Hi, I had problems siging in Yahoo Messenger and Windows Live messenger a few weeks ago, and it keeps giving me the message that my computer is not connected to the internet, when in fact my internet is perfectly normal and I can use firefox to browse the web. I have uninstalled yahoo messenger and windows live messenger from my computer and tried to install them again. It keeps saying that my firewall settings prevent them from installing the necessary parts in order to complete the installation. I have turned off firewall and tried again but it didnt work . I also posted questions on Yahoo messenger and windows live messenger forum and tried everything they suggested, so far nothing has worked.

I dont know why this happens because other programs on my computer are working in perfect order.

• Changed type Bruce-Liu Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:51 AM
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Xiukhung ,

Have you installed any antivirus or 3rd party firewall on your system if yes than try to off those settings as well.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007 M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008 M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hello,

please post the complete error mesage you get and also the OS version you are using including SP/patch level. Check also the event viewer and post the errors here.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Only problems with Yahoo and Live messenger?  I hope your network admin is not blocking those services.  Please post the exact error message here. 

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you configure the computer in Clean Boot state and check if the problem exists in this environment:

Clean Boot

=======

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK".

If the problem continues, please let us know the error message and the OS version.

For more information, please refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards,

Bruce

Monday, June 21, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Hi guys thanks for the replies. I have tried almost all of the above. in including

1. Removing my antivirus and try to install it

2. I dont think I have installed any third party firewall

3. I have clean boot many times.

After each of those times it gives me the same error message

'.Yahoo!7 is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and retry installation'

For windows live messenger it said something like that and said to make sure I'm connected to the internet. Sorry I'm not an IT person, so what OS and SP? How do I find it on my laptop?

Monday, June 21, 2010 11:45 AM
  • Hi guys thanks for the replies. I have tried almost all of the above, including 'clean boot' and removing my antivirus, I also installed a new antivirus. Everytime it gives me the same error message

"Yahoo!7 is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check Firewall settings and retry installation"

Windows Live Messenger said to check my internet connection. BUt my laptop is connected to the internet and I can browse the web.

I dont think I have installed third party firewall, not that I know of. How do I check this?

Sorry I'm not an IT person, so I dont know what OS and SP are. my laptop is HP pavilion DV6746TX if that helps.

Monday, June 21, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Hello,

OS=Operating system  SP=Service pack

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Hi All,

I hope we are not troubleshooting yahoo or live messenger issues ?

One of the option you have is to download ethereal trace and take the trace log to understand more about the frames and check for the suspected frames.

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

To determine the version of Windows that you are running, follow these steps:

1.    Click Start, and then click Run.

2.    In the Open box, type winver, and then click OK.

3.    The About Windows box will come up. Please let us know the information on the About Windows.

Regards,

Bruce

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Hi Xiukung ,

I think I got it if your are using Windows 7 .

Go to control panel > User Accounts > Change the user account control setting from Never Notify to Mid .

This will solve your problem.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007 M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008 M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
    • Edited by Shafaquat Ali Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:28 AM something was missing
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you had a chance to follow on the issue ?, please let us know if you further need assistance.

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

I got the same issue on WinXP

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3407/51622494.png

Pls helps us.

Regards

Friday, December 03, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi all,

You should update hotfix windows that solve the issue.

fixed now!

Regards.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:18 AM