none
Windows Server Recycle bin

Question

• I'm curious to know how the Windows Recycle Bin works on a 2008 server? We have five drives  - C, D, E, F, G.

Example:

D is 50GB drive. It has 30GB worth of files on it, including a file that is 10GB large (Essay.doc for the sake of argument).

I then delete Essay.doc by hitting delete.

What happens? Does this document go to the Recycle Bin until I purge it from there? And what happens to the free space on D, does it increase by 10 as soon as I delete the document, or only when I empty the Recycle Bin, or somewhere in between?

Secondly, I notice that I have a bunch of Windows 2008 Servers, but I can only see the Recycle Bin on the desktop of some. How do I make it 'appear'?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

• If you are locally logged on to the server or using Remote Desktop Services, then yes the file will go to the Recycle Bin (if there's room).  If you delete a file from across the network then no, it will just be deleted.  However, the Recycle Bin is a first-in first-out system and has a size limit.  To see and/or adjust the size of the Recycle Bin, simply right click on it and select "Properties".

If you want to protect files across the network from deletion, use Previous Versions.

To enable the Recycle Bin on the desktop, right click the desktop, select Personalize, and click Change Desktop Icons.

C Shane Cribbs
    http://www.georgiatechnologies.com
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:14 AM