Licensing per user in Terminal Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I´m not sure well understand Terminal Services licensing in per user mode.

I think each user has a licence. Does it mean that when a user begins a conection, its account is checked and the connection only is establishes if it´s a licensed account? Or maybe it means all users can establish a connection until the number of licenses is surpassed? If the good option is the first one,is it possible reasign the license to a new account in case, for example,  the employee leaves the company?

Thanks in advance and regards.

Thursday, November 2, 2006 11:17 AM

Answers

• Don't confuse technical aspects of licensing with the legal aspects.

EULA Requirement: You need to purchase and 'assign' a license for every named used that will / can use your terminal servers.  You can reassign a license from user to another when you reasonably expect the user to never connect to the system again.  You cannot re-assign licenses to affect concurrent licensing.

Technical: You need to put your terminal server in per user licensing mode and install the license packs.  We do not track or enforce user licensing in Windows 2003.  With Longhorn we will be adding user tracking to help you manage your licenses.

Friday, November 3, 2006 8:34 PM

All replies

• Don't confuse technical aspects of licensing with the legal aspects.

EULA Requirement: You need to purchase and 'assign' a license for every named used that will / can use your terminal servers.  You can reassign a license from user to another when you reasonably expect the user to never connect to the system again.  You cannot re-assign licenses to affect concurrent licensing.

Technical: You need to put your terminal server in per user licensing mode and install the license packs.  We do not track or enforce user licensing in Windows 2003.  With Longhorn we will be adding user tracking to help you manage your licenses.

Friday, November 3, 2006 8:34 PM
  • I have seen alot of places that say it is possible to re-assign a license if need be. I haven't yet seen a place that tells you how.

Could you point me in the right direction?

I can see the licenses assigned to devices in the 'Terminal Server Licensing' console in the 'Administrative Tools' under 'Control Panel' but I don't see anything to change/un-assign the licenses.

Monday, December 4, 2006 9:14 AM
  • I need some help with this issue. I do some IT work for a furniture store that uses special furniture software that uses remote desktop to the server in order to log into the software and access the database. They have purchased just enough licenses for each of their users to connect. About 6 months ago I put in a wireless system and tested it with my laptop. I used remote desktop to make sure the server was accessable and my machine was issued a license. Now the problem is that in the license that my laptop was issued, along with two others that were pre-existing, will not release and the store is out of licenses and they have one computer that cannot connect to the server using the furniture software. Any ideas that might help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:43 PM
  •  

I am assuming you are running Windows Server 2003. In that case license issued to your laptop will get experied after 54-89 days. Once license experies, it will move back to available pool of license automatically. In Win2K3 there is no manually revocation of licenses supported.

Howerver manual revocation of licenses will be supported in Windows Server 2008. For more info please check following link

http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/2007/04/12/what-s-new-in-terminal-services-licensing-for-longhorn-part-2.aspx

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:22 AM
  • Hi All,

This has no relation to the issue at hand. But I have this problem; We successfully installed the 13 TS license on the licensing server however only 9 sessions can concurrently connect, including the administrator.  We expect all the 13 people to connect to the server VIA thin client.

Help????

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:12 AM