none
Print Manager On Print Server - Printers List Blank RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Having a strange issue where my print server has recently stopped showing the printers in the Print Manager.

If I connect print manager to another print server, I don't see any printers on the other server either. Can see all the ports, drivers, forms and from what I have read those three items render back to Print Manager differently than printers themselves.

restarting the spooler has no impact, server reboot doesn't affect it either.

no firewall enabled.

I can access the shared printers on the server, and click view remote printers to get that special printer share path on the server just fine.

I can view and manage the printers from another client using Print Manager and see everything.

have flushed DNS and tried again with no success.

tried adding print server via FQDN, IP and same result.

On the plus side, so far no interruption in print service to users as it appears to just be cosmetic management issue which is super frustrating.

Server is fully patched.

Any ideas?

• Edited by ssaviers Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:46 PM
    • Moved by Justin GuModerator Friday, October 24, 2014 5:51 AM from Windows Server 2012 General forum
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• two solid days of nothing... so flippin frustrating. I am up to try just about anything short of an OS re-install to get this to be resolved!
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

Would you please let me know OS edition information of the print server? Was Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2?

Based on your description, this can occur if the client system (the system running Printer Management Console) does not have a DNS 'A' record (forward lookup) configured or the record is incorrect. Please add a DNS 'A' record for the system that is running the Printer Management Console or correct the existing record, and then monitor the result. For more details, please refer to following KB.

Printers list blank in Print Management Console

In addition, if it’s Windows Server 2012 R2, please check if KB2995388 was installed. It may cause similar issues as reported in following thread.

Print Management Console displays no printers after applying Windows Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2995388)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by ssaviers Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:48 AM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Thank you for getting back to me. System is 2012 R2.

That particular KB is installed, there were 10 optional updates another SA installed which seemed to fall into the period of time in which it broke, I installed those same updates on another 2012 R2 test server we have to see if it would break it and it still worked so I wrote it off as not being a factor.

I just uninstalled that KB but have to wait till after hours tonight to reboot the machine to see if it resolves it. The DNS A record seems to exist, not sure how to tell if its corrupt in anyway. Do you have any suggestions to validate the record configuration?

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Looks like that KB uninstall appears to have resolved the issue. I had installed the same KB on a like sized 2012 R2 server and it hasn't affected it yet which is kind of strange, none the less not complaining now that its fixed. Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:48 AM
  • I have exactly the same symptoms and removal of the KB did not fix the problem. I've also removed and re-added the print server role, and reinstalled/removed the faulty windows update.

So frustrating

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:37 PM
  • I hit the same issue with an update from 3/11.

I do not know which update it was. I just started removing until local printer enumeration was successful again. 

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Aziz_25 

Hello,

i have the same problem, the day before I've installed Microsoft updates and i restarted the server ,aftre that i lost my printers in Print Management.

1- I didn't find (KB2995388) installed on my Windows server 12 R2.

2- The DNS records are OK.

2-I'm able to see my printers by Get-Printer PowerShell cmdlet.

2- I run sfc /scannow command ,the scan completed without errors or notifications.

“Add Printer '' i can see my existing printers but one i finish adding the printer it will not appear in the Print Management.

Please advice.

thanks

• Edited by Aziz_25 Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:19 AM
    Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:19 AM
  • Hi Aziz,

there was some update in March that caused this issue again.  I do not know which update.  I just uninstalled until the printerchangenotificates started working again.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:45 AM
    Answerer
  • Can you verify if this patch is installed? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3034348

Then can you uninstall and see if that corrects the behavior?

Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Can you verify if this patch is installed? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3034348

Then can you uninstall and see if that corrects the behavior?

Uninstalling this patch fixed it for me.
    • Edited by ramidean Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:37 AM
  • I'm really surprised that this still is busted.

thanks for the update

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:35 PM
    Answerer
  • I too am just now having this issue.

None of the two referenced patches are installed on my Server2012R2 server.

DNS records appear to be fine.  DNS cache has been flushed. My symptoms are exactly the same as everyone else's.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:15 PM
  • I too am just now having this issue.

None of the two referenced patches are installed on my Server2012R2 server.

DNS records appear to be fine.  DNS cache has been flushed. My symptoms are exactly the same as everyone else's.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:16 PM
  • There are a couple recent updated for Microsoft causing the same issue.  Check the date of c:\windows\system32\localspl.dll  If June 2016, that's the latest issue.  I believe the local enumprinters call was also broken with the binaries from January 2016. 

Other people are hitting this too.  If you can log a support issue with Microsoft, that will be the first task.

Link to others hitting the issue: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b28e0c37-c53a-4ae4-ae15-e59e5b108857/windows-server-2012-r2-print-server-not-displaying-pinters-in-printer-management?forum=winserverprint

thanks

Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:38 AM
    Answerer