none
Can not register schmgmt.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Recently i have migrated from W03 to Win 2008 R2 i can not load the schmgmt.dll as the error shown below

"The Module "schmgmt.dll" failed to load make sure the binary is stored at the speci path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent.DLL the Specified module could not be found"

Godblessings......

RaSa
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try openning a command prompt with "run as administrator" and try again.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    • Marked as answer by Brent HuModerator Monday, January 17, 2011 8:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ansar salim Sunday, January 3, 2016 5:56 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Hello RaSa,

This is because User Account Control (UAC) might be limiting your capabilities even if you logged on using an account that is a member of the Schema Admins group. You do need to login or start an elevated command prompt using an account that is a member of the Schema Admins group.

To open an elevated command prompt, click the Start button in the toolbar, type Command Prompt. Then, right-click Command Prompt from the Start menu and click Run as administrator.

The module "schmmgmt.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/the-module-quot-schmmgmt-dll-quot-was-loaded-but-the-call-to-dllregisterserver-failed-with-error-code-0x80040201.aspx

Install the Active Directory Schema Snap-In
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732110.aspx

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Dear Brent,

I tried run as administrator and i am not getting error code as shown in your Link0X80040201 instead i got an error as follows

"The Module "schmgmt.dll" failed to load make sure the binary is stored at the speci path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent.DLL the Specified module could not be found"

Regards

RaSa
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Hello Rasa,

It seems to be "schmmgmt.dll" not "schmgmt.dll". Typo?

Can you find the "schmmgmt.dll" file in the %systemroot%\System32 folder?

Brent
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brent HuModerator Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Dohhhh rookie mistake. Your right. I got it working now. Thanks
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:07 PM
  • pls I'm having the same problem with Rasa.

I cannot find "schmmgmt.dll" file in the %systemroot%\System32 folder. pls help me out.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Try  "schmmgmt.dll" not "schmgmt.dll".  Plus you should be a Enterprise Admins !!!

Kalvinder

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:28 PM
  • When ever i typed regsvr32 schmmgmt in ccommand prompt i receive such error massage

The module "schmmgmt.dll" fail to load make sure the binary stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with binary or dependent .DLL file.

The specified module could not be found.

pls. help cant add Active Directory snap-in and i dont have any user account on my system, no password and i'm windows 7 ultimate edition. thank you.

Newgen 

Monday, December 24, 2012 11:03 PM
  •  Perform the operation on domain controller machine not not windows 7 client machine. Type schmmgmt.dll on a search bar then Run regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll

You can download RSAT on the Window 7 machine and install.

• Marked as answer by Syed_Rabbani Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

The minimum required requirement for running the command regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll (as administrator on your server) is Domain Admins(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732110.aspx), there is no need to be enterprise admin! After running this command successfully you will get the following message: http://havardkristiansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/registerschmmgmt.jpg
    You can then add the Active Directory Schema MMC snap-in, and connect to your domain: http://havardkristiansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mmc_schmmgmt.jpg

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful. http://www.havardkristiansen.com

• Edited by Håvard Kristiansen Tuesday, December 25, 2012 7:33 PM Microsoft Link did not get attached in reply
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 7:32 PM
  • @Havard kristiansen, i tried to to connect to your website to view your suggestion above except for the first link but the site is down cant display the webpage. i tried to open the site using 3 different browsers (chrome, Firefox, IE)

regard,

Newgen

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:29 PM
  • @MYousufAli thanks 4 the suggestion.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:32 PM
  • Dear Mr Yousufali

very old problem i was solved the problem long back  using "regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll"

Regards

Rabbani

RaSa

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:24 AM
  • ur post didnt solve the problem.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Then give the details so experts may investigate more on that in my case that was the issue which had been resolved

RaSa

Friday, December 28, 2012 3:48 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem.

See detailed document with screenshots via the link below.

ADSchemaDll_RegistrationIssue-Windows8.pdf

I have engaged Microsoft Premier Support on this and will post the fix when I recieve it.

I do not have this problem when registering the Schema Management Snap In on a Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit computer or a Windows XP Professional computer on the same domain.

It has to be a "Windows 8" thing.

• Edited by ACECORP Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Any  updates on this?  What did Windows Premier Support have on it?  Thanks for any follow up you can provide....
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Had the same error, but with help of this topic I got it running with this steps:

- Go to the system32 folder (generally found in c:\windows).

- Search for schmmgmt.dll (mind the double M, most common made error is you write it with a single M, I also made that error and was the original cause of the problem in my case)

- Open a cmd prompt (I opened as administrator)

- enter "regsvr32 " (without the quotes and WITH a space)

- drag the file you found from de explorer into the cmd prompt editor, this will give you the full path in the cmd prompt

- press enter to see it registered

Monday, August 1, 2016 6:38 AM