none
Properly refresh VAMT from AD RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get to update my computerlist in VAMT 2.0 the way i would like to.
    We have lot's of laptops detached from the network.
    When updating the computer list from AD in VAMT, all computers are updated and license information refreshed.
    But because the laptops are out for business, the license information is no longer available, and lost.

My Question is, how to add new computers without losing all other license information.
    I now I can add new computers one by one, but that's not very practical.

Thanks for your reply,
    Friday, December 25, 2009 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is expected that VAMT only refreshes the licensing statuses of computers in Active Directory or in Workgroup. As the laptops are not connected to your company’s intranet, their licensing statuses will not be available.

I am afraid that we cannot refresh computer licensing status without losing the previous results.

One way you can consider to work around this is to export the VAMT data before refreshing the computer licensing status.

Export VAMT Data:

Use the Export File dialog to specify a file name, path, and the non-Personally Identifiable Information (non-PII) content option when exporting VAMT data to a Computer Information List (CIL) file. This function is used to export computer information from a non-Internet-connected VAMT host in the first step of MAK Proxy Activation using multiple VAMT hosts. The same dialog is used to export the CIL from the Internet-connected VAMT host, after confirmation IDs (CIDs) have been retrieved from Microsoft.

Selecting Exclude any sensitive environment data ensures that the export only contains the licensing information required for the MAK Proxy web service to obtain a CID from Microsoft. No PII is contained in the exported CIL when this box is checked.

Note: When excluding sensitive data during export, the CIL containing the CIDs must be imported back into original full-save CIL on the first VAMT host so that the CIDs can be correctly matched with the original computers. Selecting Browse will open the standard Microsoft Windows file save dialog.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, December 28, 2009 7:31 AM