none
RDP into Azure AD joined machine from domain joined Server 2019 RDSH RRS feed

• Question

• I have an RDSH running Windows Server 2019. In this case, the user logs in with one identity to RDSH of a different forest. The target is to RDP into a Windows 10 Pro 1903 client which is AAD joined only.

While I've tried to follow https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/connect-to-remote-aadj-pc, this isn't working for me. NLA is enabled on the Win 10 client. I've tried using username formats of AzureAD\user@contoso.com as well as AzureAD\User. One thing to note is that AAD requires a PIN to be set up to log into the AAD joined client, though when you're at the login screen on the client itself, you can switch to using username/password.

How can I accomplish this scenario of RDP'ing from a domain joined RDSH to Win 10 client joined to AAD only?

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please note that:
    The local PC must either be domain-joined or Azure AD-joined. The local PC and remote PC must be in the same Azure AD tenant.

Besides, please confirm that if article “Troubleshoot Remote Desktop connections to an Azure virtual machine” is helpful:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/troubleshooting/troubleshoot-rdp-connection

If you have more questions about RDP to Azure VMs, I would recommend you to post on Azure forum and relate product expert may provide you more suggestion:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/community/

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:24 AM
  • The RDSH server is domain joined. The target client is Azure AD joined.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Will the Troubleshoot article helpful?

As your question is Azure relate, contact the Azure supporter and they may provide you more information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

Will the Troubleshoot article helpful?

As your question is Azure relate, contact the Azure supporter and they may provide you more information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

No, it's not even applicable. Neither is Azure. The target machine is AAD joined. Azure otherwise plays no part in this.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

>RDP'ing from a domain joined RDSH to Win 10 client joined to AAD only?
    I am afraid that it is not supported. 

I am unable to reproduce it on my environment due to product limitation. I check the article “Connect to remote Azure Active Directory-joined PC” again, “Both PCs (local and remote) must be running Windows 10, version 1607 (or later)” are mentioned and Windows Server system does not listed as supported system.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Monday, July 29, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:52 AM
  • After disabling NLA on the client and modifying the RDP file with the line enablecredsspsupport:i:0, this began working.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, August 2, 2019 2:05 AM