Mouse click and drag feature inconsistant RRS feed

• Question

• System is running Win 7 Pro 64 bit with hardware virtualized XP Pro 32 inside.  6 GB total RAM with 3 GB reserved for Win XP.  Have a custom medical app that only runs on XP.  No other apps at this point on either the Win 7 Host or in the Virtual XP environment.

When do a click and drag in the sub-window zoom mode, everything works fine. Press and hold the right mouse button and scrolling forward or back zooms in and out as desired.  This is only a single direction function - moving side to side at the same time does nothing.

When click and drag in the same window, but with the dual-mode brightness-contrast tool selected, you should see brightness increase-decrease with forward-back motion, and contrast increase-decrease with side to side motion.  

If you are in a Non-virtual environment,  this movement results in smooth variation to easily find optimum brightness and contrast settings for maximum image readability.  Releasing the right mouse button leaves the image at the selected setting.

However, if in Virtual PC, using this tool works totally differently - ANY movement will result in continual adjustment in only one direction until the mouse button is released.  I.E. - moving forward and back result in ( for example ) the image getting brighter and then even more bright.  When you release the mouse button, and then re-engage it, you will then adjust the image in the opposite direction.   Given the nature of the work being done, this is functionally useless and precludes using the program in the Win 7 - Win XP Mode virtual environment. 

I have tried this with integration services both enabled and disabled with no apparent effect.

I would think this is a programming issue in the application, but am at a loss as to why doing the same thing with the mouse would give such totally different results.  Again, on non-virtualized systems, all functions work fine.   I have tried multiple mice, wired and wireless, and multiple mouse drivers without seeing any changes.

Any comments on what might be going on here?

Monday, May 3, 2010 4:03 AM

Answers

• hi again -

Program developers appear to be currently focusing on Win 7 development which will make the XP mode issues irrelevant unless there is a particular API or mouse driver that could be focused on for a quick fix.   Since both win 7 32 bit and win XP 32 bit do not display this issue, we were hoping that there might be something in the win 7 64 bit XP mode translation drivers that could be readily identified.  

Thanks for your help.  For now, i am going to wipe Win 7 -64 off the system and rebuild with 7-32 bit.  this will both speed up the responsiveness by avoiding XP mode, and appears to resolve the mouse issue.  Downside is OEM will no longer support this brand new system, but in my experience that is no great loss...     Thanks again.   BGL

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:51 AM

All replies

• Probably related to the mouse driver VPC uses for integration.  The mouse needs to be aware of when it's in the VM or not.  Some programs can't handle this.

What happens if you disable the integration components?

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:11 AM
  • I have tried this with integration services both enabled and disabled with no apparent effect.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that if this issue only occurs on the custom medical application?

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you install the update KB977206 first.

After that, please try to uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Integration Features to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Sorry about the delay. I am not currently working at that site. I expect to be there later this coming week. 1> the system definitely fully complies with the requirements for hardware supported virtual XP mode including the appropriate BIOS settings. When running the compliance app, got all green check marks. We have never encountered any error messages about virtualization not enabled or supported such as shown in the link: Article ID: 977206 2> the link notes issues pertaining to copy and paste problems - we have not seen any such issues. 3> this problem only occurs in one mode of the medical app, and all other tests, modes and apps seem fine. Note that other than the OS and the usual security apps, nothing is installed on the host or the virtual system. We have also tested with the firewall and all scanners off - no change. 4> the problem mouse function works fine in XP SP 3 NON-virtual, and also appears stable in the beta version of the software under win7 32 bit. Unfortunately, we do not have a target date for win 7 32 availability of this program. Hints indicate it may be 6 months or more out, and Win 7 64 bit is not even hinted at. ( No 64 bit version of this program has ever been released, although the need is known.) 5> I do not know for certain at this time if the 977206 patch has been applied, however all patches deemed by windows update to be applicable to either win 7 or XP SP3 that were OS critical or recommended had been applied.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:22 AM
  • Brief add note:   I do not expect this was a file corruption issue or any error associated with a bad install as i was running the project on 3 systems in parallel and had the same issue on all 3 systems.   Otherwise, all ran fine.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

If this issue only occurs on the custom medical application and other applications work fine with Windows XP Mode, it can be a compatibility issue between the medical application and Windows XP Mode.

If so, I recommend you ask the software developers to develop an update to fix this compatibility issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:50 AM
  • hi again -

Program developers appear to be currently focusing on Win 7 development which will make the XP mode issues irrelevant unless there is a particular API or mouse driver that could be focused on for a quick fix.   Since both win 7 32 bit and win XP 32 bit do not display this issue, we were hoping that there might be something in the win 7 64 bit XP mode translation drivers that could be readily identified.  

Thanks for your help.  For now, i am going to wipe Win 7 -64 off the system and rebuild with 7-32 bit.  this will both speed up the responsiveness by avoiding XP mode, and appears to resolve the mouse issue.  Downside is OEM will no longer support this brand new system, but in my experience that is no great loss...     Thanks again.   BGL

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:51 AM