none
Undo "Revert" of VM on Hyper-V Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys, is there anyway I can recover my Hyper-V VM after accidentally Reverted? I dont have snaps nor backups... I noke a few years ago it was not possible but maybe now there is a way around I have WServer 2016.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

In Hyper-V Manager, the "Revert" option first tells the underlying API to hard turn off the VM, then it instructs the API to restore the snapshot.

Based on my experience, there is no way to revert the snapshot. Snapshot is not a backup method.

You really need some backup tool to handle this situation, and then using snapshots for testing configuration changes and updates.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, August 16, 2019 3:27 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

In Hyper-V Manager, the "Revert" option first tells the underlying API to hard turn off the VM, then it instructs the API to restore the snapshot.

Based on my experience, there is no way to revert the snapshot. Snapshot is not a backup method.

You really need some backup tool to handle this situation, and then using snapshots for testing configuration changes and updates.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, August 16, 2019 3:27 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:52 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:57 AM