none
Storage Spaces Direct Volume Creation RRS feed

• Question

• We have implemented S2D and looking at setting multiple volumes up. Upon creation I'm taking to a 'Specify the size of the virtual disk' with options for tiering. Does anyone know what the best practice is here. As an example the volume is going to be 20TB in size

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 10:16 AM

All replies

• I would recommend leaving some free size from the performance and capacity tier, as a best practise capacity of one disk drive per server (for each tier). The recommened maximum size for volume is 32TB for Windows Server 2016 and 64TB for Windows Server 2019. 

Planning volumes in Storage Spaces Direct

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 11:18 AM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/plan-volumes contains some information on recommendations for creating S2D volumes.  One of the key recommendations is to make the number of volumes equal to a multiple of the number of hosts in the cluster.  In other words, if you have a two-node S2D cluster, make two, four, six, eight, etc. volumes.  In your case, if your cluster is a two node cluster, and you need at least 20 TB, you might be best served by creating two 25TB volumes to use all the space available.

tim

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 12:29 PM
  • Thanks for the reply but still unsure. I'll try and provide a bit more info.

Firstly a question, The performance tier is this a tier on the HDD or on the NVMe cache???, I was under the impression the cache was never used for storage.

Back to the original question, As an example we have the storage pool, I have 2 companies in which we would like to create 2 volumes to separate them, "Company 1" has 80VMs, "Company 2" has 20 VMs.

So using the tiering options how would you set this, also we have to think ahead in case another company comes in. Basically I don't want to set volume sizes too big, eg 40TB volume for 10TB of data leaving 30TB sat there. I know we can use it but to keep Company1 and Company2 data on different volumes.

Any advice would be great.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Yes, NVMe should be used only for cache. Can you list what disks are you using in your S2D Cluster? 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

We have 6 Nodes, 2NVMe's in each and 8 HDD.

HDD = 2TB

NVMe = 1.6TB

John

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:45 PM
  • I don't think you have to concern yourself with any sort of tiering.  Your configuration is already 'over-optimized' for performance. By default, the NVMe drives will be used for caching.  If you are running general purpose VMs, you have more than enough cache in the NVMe storage.  If you want to keep the VMs on different volumes, determine the appropriate size volume needed and create the volumes using a proportional amount of NVMe and HDD.  If that does not use all the storage, that simply leaves room for expansion.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/understand-the-cache might provide some helpful information.

tim

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks, forgive me but still struggling, In the below, where are the Performance and Capacity stored, it says HDD, I'm not sure where the 2 values are coming from (21950GB and 32946GB). 

You said not to worry about tiering, the gui doesn't allow me to skip unless I put a figure in both.

I'm reading this as NVMe cache has nothing to do with the below and we are just looking at HDD

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your question. 
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 20, 2019 8:01 AM