none
Hyper-V 2016 Remote Management Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Hyper-V Server on a spare box to use it as a test environment. All installation and config went smoothly, I turned off server firewall and joined my domain to simplify testing process. I'm able to do most remote management tasks: I can RPC to the server, Computer Management, Hyper-V Management, the whole enchilada. But I seem to be having some issues managing server disks. In Hyper-V Management when I try to create a new VM, it only allows me to save it to the boot (C:) drive (there are 2 other disks in the server that are nowhere to be found). Then I remote to the server with Computer Management to verify the disks, "System Tools" are working fine but when I click on "Disk Management" it fails with error "Virtual Disk Manager: The RPC Server is unavailable". Using Server Manager from my AD, however, I can see all server drives.

In summary, all I need is to be able to select drives other than C: while creating VMs using a Remote Hyper-V Manager. What am I missing?... Thanks!

Monday, January 28, 2019 7:48 PM

All replies

• Firewall may block the remote communication to virtual disk service.

Please perform the following steps to enable remote management via Disk Management:

On
    Remote server to be managed do the following:
    1. Type in the following command to set the VDS service to automatic and start it:
    sc config vds start= auto
    net start vds

2. Type in the following command to configure the firewall to enable "Remote Volume Management":
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="remote volume management" new enable=yes

When you remotely manage a computer, the VDS Loader on the client loads VDS on the server side. VDS calls CoCreateInstance, which passes an interface pointer back to the Disk Management snap-in, which then allows remote management of the server.

http://alxguw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pGBWkeEYk82nXzF6kbpqaihuUHsOvkDT36FJTiYyUyVB0fuZ4Sj9leyxT2F2s1WN0N2DtS5xy04_bXEn2yH6S7-P-eTZeLek-/9.PNG 

As a result, there is a loopback RPC connection from the RPC server to client when you remotely manage the VDS. You need to open the corresponding firewall on management client too. For more information on how Virtual Disk Services works, please refer to the following link:

How Virtual Disk Service Works

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739923(WS.10).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:55 AM