none
Server 2008 R2 WDS Intel Series 8 USB Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning.

I'm having trouble deploying the new Intel Series 8 USB Drivers to our new Dell Latitude 3340 and Latitude 3440 laptops with WDS.

We're on Server 2008 R2, using WDS.  We're deploying only Windows 7 64bit.

Everything was working fine with the Intel USB 3.0 Series 7 drivers.  I have a separate driver group created for USB 3.0 drivers, with a filter set to install all drivers in the group.  This seemed to work great, with our Latitude 3330s and 5430s.

When I add the Intel USB 3.0 Series 8 drivers, for the Latitude 3340 specifically, The drivers deploy correctly, and work fine there.  The problem occurs on the older laptops.  When imaging them, (after the new drivers were added) the 3330s won't complete setup; they show a BSOD, and start a reboot loop.

From doing a little research, it looks like the iusb3hub.sys will load for either USB 3.0 series 7 or 8, but doesn't work with the series 7 chipset.  This seems to cause the BSOD.

Our workaround has been to remove the USB Series 8 drivers from WDS, and install them manually on the newer laptops, but my supervisor was wanting the problem fixed.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

-Ricky

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:47 PM

Answers

• Well, we found a solution that works.

In the machine startup script, we added a few lines that check for the computer model via WMI, and installs the driver package.  It also checks to see if the drivers are installed first.

Seems to work very well, so far.

Thanks for the help.

-Ricky
    Friday, June 20, 2014 12:39 PM

All replies

• This is a problem with the drivers themselves. Intel could fix it by adding SUBSYS values into the hardware detection list in the INFs, but they have not so far. The 7 and 8 (as you say) drivers cannot co-exist in the same image. Everyone else who has encountered this problem has to either keep a separate image set, or install the drivers as needed. For my own purposes, my images have the old drivers in it, and during deployment I have it install the drivers based on what hardware is detected. Or another option is to make a manual selection for hardware that do not have an automated software deployment package.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the last part... what do you mean by making a manual selection for hardware?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to add something to my Sysprep.inf to install the drivers?  I was thinking if it's possible to do a wmi scan for the model, and then install that from a network share somewhere.

Thanks guys,

-Ricky

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:45 PM
  • I use a custom developed imaging system. I use WDS only for its PXE ability. In my process, after the image is deployed an option to install software is given and a list of items is shown. On that list I have a USB3.0 Intel driver that can be selected. In some instances, I have it automatically install it based on the hardware. I do use WMI to determine hardware model, so that is definately possible.

If you use a product like MDT, you can create a task sequence, or a custom deployment profile where you can run custom commands. For example you can make a TS just for a certain model of notebook so that it will install the appropriate drivers. Like how you can't really just integrate touchpad drivers into an image because you need the software to go along with it.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Thanks.

I'll be attending training for MDT soon, so that might definitely be a possibility.

In the meantime, I'm looking at using SCCM to install the drivers.  I'll post back with the results.

-Ricky

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:08 PM
  • Well, we found a solution that works.

In the machine startup script, we added a few lines that check for the computer model via WMI, and installs the driver package.  It also checks to see if the drivers are installed first.

Seems to work very well, so far.

Thanks for the help.

-Ricky
    Friday, June 20, 2014 12:39 PM