none
NTBackup & Task Scheduler - Error 01xf

Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create an NTBackup solution which would back up my hard disks weekly, combined with Scheduler to make it automated for my Windows Server 2003 system.

The first time I tried it, everything seemed to work.  However, after a physical office move, things somehow don't work anymore.  Deleting and recreating the whole thing doesn't help either.

Using the backup manually via Backup & Restore works, but somehow when it is run in scheduler, it returns error code 0x1f:

"Monday Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe)
     Started 10/6/2008 10:08:34 AM
    "Monday Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe)
     Finished 10/6/2008 10:08:35 AM
     Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1f).

Trying to run the scheduled task by right clicking and selecting "RUN" yields the same result.

The full command line in scheduler is:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Saturday Full Backup.bks" /n "Saturday Full Backup.bkf created 10/4/2008 at 12:44 PM" /d "Set created 10/4/2008 at 12:44 PM" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Saturday Full Backup" /l:s /f "Z:\6. Saturday\Saturday Full Backup.bkf"

There should not be any permission problems in my Z drive as I can backup manually to that location.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Moved by Malu Menezes Tuesday, October 7, 2008 10:20 PM ntbackup question (Moved from Backup – Windows and Windows Server to File Services and Storage)
    Monday, October 6, 2008 2:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the error message and the experience, there may be a known issue. If you make the backup save on tape device and the tape space is not enough, it will cause such issue.

Please check the following KB article to see if you backup the system to tape.

A scheduled backup task unexpectedly quits in Windows Server 2003 when the backup tape is full

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839591

Possible resolution:

1. use the /um switch - but needs to have human intervention to input the next tape

2. get bigger tape media

3. backup data less than the size of the tape

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, October 13, 2008 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the error message and the experience, there may be a known issue. If you make the backup save on tape device and the tape space is not enough, it will cause such issue.

Please check the following KB article to see if you backup the system to tape.

A scheduled backup task unexpectedly quits in Windows Server 2003 when the backup tape is full

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839591

Possible resolution:

1. use the /um switch - but needs to have human intervention to input the next tape

2. get bigger tape media

3. backup data less than the size of the tape

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, October 13, 2008 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:13 AM
  • That is a really poor answer to the dude's question. I expect more from a MSFT moderator. If you read the whole thing, Kerean, mentions that he/she is backing up to a network drive, not a tape.

I am having the same issue. I wonder if the issue as to do with the media set name. If the backup is scheduled and not run from the wizard, there is no file and the media set name for the file - "blahblahblah.bkf created 10/4/2008 at 12:44 PM" does not exist yet. The backup report says "The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found." That seems to be a big duh. It is supposed to CREATE the media the first time, right?

As you can see I am frustrated at what should be a simple thing to do. Your assistance is appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by Lord Bladzz Monday, February 21, 2011 1:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lord Bladzz Monday, February 21, 2011 1:36 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Has there been an actual solution to this issue?

I am also seeing this Result on a Backup to Disk.  The disk is a SCSI Array that is shared off of another server.  The backup will run normally if I do not set up a schedule (ie I run backup now) but that defeats my intention of running it automatically.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:35 PM
  • There is a good probability that the .bks file (the file that tells ntbackup what files are to be backed up) is corrupt.  Rebuild the file using ntbackup in advanced mode.  Avoid editing the .bks file in notepad.
    • Proposed as answer by DavidSte2 Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:21 PM
  • I think the 1f error is related to issues with the .bks file. 

I manually amended the path for mine and made a typo so it couldn't find the file and it threw the 1f error in the scheduled tasks log

Thanks, David

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:28 PM